[EM] Party lists and candidate multiwinner elections

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 20:18:33 PDT 2014

> From: Kristofer Munsterhjelm <km_elmet at t-online.de>
>
> Say we have two settings: one is an ordinary multiwinner election with,
> say, 10 seats. The other is a party list PR election to a very large
> assembly (say 500 seats), but where the number of distinct parties has
> been limited to 10. That is, no more than 10 parties may be represented
> in that large council.
>
> Furthermore, assume that the voters' ballots are completely identical in
> the two settings. So if a voter in setting two ranks party A > party B >
> party C, then in setting one he would rank candidate A > candidate B >
> candidate C.
>
> Now, my question is: is there any situation where we would expect the
> candidates elected in setting one to differ from the parties that get at
> least one seat in setting two?

Yes.  There is a big difference in those two situations, depending on
the exact proportions of votes cast per party or candidate. You may
have fewer than 10 parties winning seats in the 500 seat assembly
because some parties may have much much larger share of the votes than
others.  However, in the 10 seat election, each seat must be held by a
different candidate, so 10 people must be elected if there are at
least 10 candidates.

Unless you forgot to mention an additional rule for the party list
elections that there must be exactly 10 parties elected.

--

Kathy Dopp
Town of Colonie, NY 12304

Fundamentals of Verifiable Elections