[EM] General PR question (from Andy Jennings in 2011)

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 09:34:53 PDT 2014

On Sun, Oct 5, 2014 at 2:02 AM, Toby Pereira <tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> From: Kathy Dopp <kathy.dopp at gmail.com>
>

>>First, adding more voters (group C) means that the denominator of the
>>ratio (proportion) for each (every) voting group changes.
>>How could I change the denominator of the quantity v_i/v (the
>>proportion of each voting group)  without changing the proportion of
>>seats that each group should have?
>
> Well, it changes the overall proportion they should have, but it does not
> change the 5:3 correct ratio of A to B seats.

Yes. However, it changes the NUMBER of seats allocated in the 5:3
ratio, allocating those seats in EXACTLY proportional fashion.  I.e.

For three seats:

5 voters 1.875 seats  gives 2 seats
3 voters 1.125 seats  gives 1 seat

For four seats:

5 voters 2.5 seats - a tie for the forth seat gives 2 or 3 seats
3 voters 1.5 seats  - a tie for the forth seat gives 2 or 1 seats

It's just SIMPLE arithmetic.

If you don't like it, then you are arguing AGAINST PROPORTIONAL
representation, which is your right.

> I would argue that if
>
> Faction 1: w seats
> Faction 2: x seats
> Faction 3: y seats
>
> is more proportional than
>
> Faction 1: w+1 seats
> Faction 2: x-1 seats
> Faction 3: y seats
>
> then with the same voting patterns
>
> Faction 1: w seats
> Faction 2: x seats
> Faction 3: z seats
>
> is more proportional than
>
> Faction 1: w+1 seats
> Faction 2: x-1 seats
> Faction 3: z seats
>
> for any x, y, w, z. Sainte-Laguë, D'Hondt and my system fit this criterion.

Yes. I AGREE and so does my formula minimization algorithm.

However, you have just altered your example from our prior discussion
by including a third faction in each example; whereas, in all your
prior examples you were comparing the split of candidates with and
without a third faction (i.e. you were comparing having two factions
versus three factions) and you are insisting on using a system of
allocating candidates that was Not proportionate.

I obviously agree with your new altered example which has three
factions and the same number of candidates in both cases.

--

Kathy Dopp
Town of Colonie, NY 12304

Fundamentals of Verifiable Elections