[EM] General PR question (from Andy Jennings in 2011)

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Oct 4 09:14:54 PDT 2014

My problem is not that adding the third faction (C) means that the final seat might go to C, but that adding C means that the relative merits of giving the seat to A or B changes. In that respect, C is an irrelevant alternative so we should be able to ignore that faction. Just to make it clear, C would also tie for the final seat with A or B if the other of A and B weren't present under your system. So as before, we have:
5 voters (A): 2 seats
3 voters (B): 1 seat
and one seat left to assign. According to your system, it should go to C. However, let's see what happens if we eliminate the B faction and its one seat. We now have:
5 voters (A): 2 seats
and one seat left to assign to either the A or C faction. The fact that B has gone should not affect which of A or C has the stronger claim to this seat. At least, that's what I think. What do you think? But what do you think actually happens? The ideal share (of 3 seats) is:
5 voters (A): 2.5 seats
1 voter (C): 0.5 seats
With both factions now exactly half a seat away, your method would award a tie (every voter will be half a seat away from proportionality under either result), so removing an irrelevant alternative has changed the result. You seem to have a lot of confidence in your method, but I would argue that it's minimising the wrong thing. It may be approximately proportional, but it seems to break down in certain circumstances.
Also, it still has the problem I mentioned in another post that it only seems to work when there is no overlap between factions, so it appears to be just a party list apportionment method and won't work for approval voting with free choice.
Toby