[EM] General PR question (from Andy Jennings in 2011)

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 3 16:11:00 PDT 2014

Kathy
The problem I have with it is that the result changes when irrelevant alternatives are removed. Assign the obvious seats as before:
5 voters (A): 2 seats3 voters (B): 1 seat
And according to your method C is first in line for the next seat followed by B and then A. But what if there was no C? It should still be B ahead of A, right? But the ideal share of seats becomes:
5 voters (A): 2.53 voters (B): 1.5
And the seats owed to the groups now are:
5 voters (A): 0.53 voters (B): 0.5
This happens with any pair. A v B, A v C or B v C all produce ties for the final seat when the third faction is ignored. Sainte-Laguë (which I would argue works proportionally for party voting) also gives a three-way tie. I specifically came up with this scenario a while ago as a test for methods that seem to work for two factions, and it was important that my own method passed it before I deemed it acceptable.
Toby