[EM] General PR question (from Andy Jennings in 2011)

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 3 04:26:58 PDT 2014

Richard, there may have been come confusion because my examples have been assuming an approval ballot, so A, C and C, A are the same. Obviously if these are ranked ballots this changes things.
And in terms of the fair outcome (with approval ballots), I would argue that BC is the most proportional outcome, and it's an open question whether or not you think that makes it the fairest or best. It could depend on the circumstances. But that's also why I gave the food example as well and was wondering if there is a system that gives a non-arbitrary trade-off between proportionality and overall support, and also suggested using my system sequentially, which would elect A and one of B/C.
I also tend to think that the argument for score or approval ballots gets stronger for proportional representation than for single-winners. And I don't think Kemeny is the best ranked-ballot single-winner method to start from anyway!