[EM] General PR question (from Andy Jennings in 2011)

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 3 04:04:06 PDT 2014

Kathy, would you be able to give some examples of this in action to flesh it out a bit? I'm a bit unsure about how it would work in practice. For example, if 1000 people vote for the candidates A, B, C, D, E and one person votes for A, B, C, D, F, then that one person is a very small faction. But If A, B, C, D are all elected then this very small faction (one person) has contributed to the election of four candidates, so I think it would cause your measure to rate it as quite unproportional. But in reality the one person is very closely related to the 1000 so shouldn't be seen as an entirely separate faction. We could also imagine a hypothetical case where although, broadly speaking, the voters are in factions, no two voters have identical ballots.
Toby