[EM] General PR question (from Andy Jennings in 2011)

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 14:09:59 PDT 2014

Several points:

I think this is a productive discussion.

I generally like Toby's definition as a proportionality measure. However, I
think that there should be a majoritarian measure too (something like
summed utility for the whole candidate set), and some balance between
these. In other words, a method should come from somewhere on the Pareto
front.

I'm not sure that we'll be able to find a non-arbitrary way to pick a point
on the pareto front.

However, I think that delegated methods are promising in that regard. In
particular, if candidates are required to pre-declare some preferences over
the other candidates, and if this ordering must satisfy some criteria, then
I think that the chances of "pathological" examples can be minimized or
eliminated.

That should be balanced with concerns over complexity and transparency.
That's why, in designing PAL, I decided that rather than pre-declaring a
strict ordering, candidates should only pre-declare a "my faction" subset
of their party, and then an ordering over other parties.

This would leave the possibility of a proportionality/majoritarian tradeoff
within a given party. I think such tradeoffs should probably be resolved in
the majoritarian direction; since the "disadvantaged" voters from a
proportionality standpoint would still be getting fair representation at
the party level, and only have grounds for complaint at the faction level.

Obviously, this doesn't resolve cases like the pizza/fry-up example,
because you can't delegate to food items. For those cases, I think that the
sequential answer is good enough, though I understand why it's unsatisfying.