[EM] Condorcet methods - should the cycle order always determine the result order? (Toby Pereira)

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 5 12:54:31 PST 2014

Kemeny certainly wouldn't be my preferred choice, partly because of its lack of clone independence, but I mentioned it because it seems to come up frequently enough.

I think I remember seeing before your "done right" post. I'll have to read it again, because I remember considering the possibility of a cloneproof Borda before and deciding that any attempt to cloneproof it would leave it unrecognisable from Borda. For example, if you have the following ballots:

10: A>B>C>D>E
10: B>C>D>E>A

Using Borda philosophy, B is the best here, but from the perspective of A, BCDE form a clone group, so any cloneproof system would have to consider A equal to each other candidate.

I think cloneproof Condorcet systems wouldn't have a set order here. While they would rank B>C>D>E, there would be no specific place for A to go. And I think this is why (as people have said), Condorcet methods don't necessarily have a complete fixed order. For example, even though B beats C and A is equal to C, it is not the case that B beats A.

But back to Borda - if the cloneproof version of Borda uses scores (as normal Borda does), then I can't see a set of scores that would make sense here. We can have scores so that B>C>D>E. But any score for A doesn't work. Because A has to be equal to all of them!

But this also makes me wonder generally - are there any sensible cloneproof ranked-ballot systems that aren't Condorcet methods? IRV is cloneproof, but is it sensible? Is there anything else?