No subject

Tue May 6 19:13:21 PDT 2014

paper. I believe I read the story in a later anthology entitled "Earth Is Room
Enough" in the mid-60s, but I can't find it in my library at the moment.

Paul Kislanko
http://www.kislanko.com

--part1_75.14c6be7e.2c35e4c3_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">I'm another newbie to this list, and would like to tha=
nk everyone who contributes to it for providing resources to help get one up=
 to speed on modern voting methods.<BR>
<BR>
I am nowhere near qualified to have an opinion related to any of the discuss=
ions on the list, but as I followed some of the links in the postings regard=
ing reading material (searching for same was how I found the list in the fir=
st place) I was reminded of this, and it may be of interest to the community=
.<BR>
<BR>
As I suppose everybody on this knows, a consequence of Arrow's Impossibility=
 Theorem is that there is always a (set of) voter(s) whose (identical) ballo=
t(s) determine the outcome of an election. Upon re-reading commentary on the=
 proof, I remembered that in the early 1950s Isaac Asimov wrote a short scie=
nce fiction story entitled "Franchise" that is relevant.<BR>
<BR>
In this story, a gigantic supercomputer named Multivac analyzed all the data=
 about every individual, and picked out the exact individual whose ballot wo=
uld determine the election, and that person was the only one voted. <BR>
<BR>