[EM] MinMax Losing Votes (equal-ranking whole) Margins

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Wed Jun 11 10:36:39 PDT 2014

On 25 April 2014  I first suggested the  'MinMax Losing Votes
(equal-ranking whole) Margins' Condorcet method:

> *Voters rank from the top however many candidates they wish Truncation
> and equal-ranking is allowed.
>
> A pairwise matrix is created, giving normal gross scores except that
> ballots that explicitly equal rank (not truncate) any two
> candidates X and Y give a whole vote to each in that pairwise contest.
>
> Using this information, give each alternative a score that equals the
> smallest number of votes it received in a pairwise loss.
>
> Henceforth we are only concerned with the direction of the pairwise
> defeats and these individual candidate scores.
>
> Use the Schulze algorithm, weighing each pairwise "defeat" by the
> absolute margin of difference between the two candidates'
> scores.  (Or use Ranked Pairs or River in the same way if you prefer).
>
> Or use the candidate scores for the Margins Sort algorithm.*

I've given some more thought on how to handle some types of ties.

*If we are using the  Score Margins Sort  algorithm and there is an
exact tie in the
sizes of the margins between pairs of pairwise out-of-order adjacent
candidates,
make the flip that results in the lowest-ordered candidate being further
lowered.

If we are using a method that ranks pairwise defeats, and more than one
of the pairwise
results has the exact same MMLV(erw) score margin, then rank them from
strongest to
weakest according to the loser's score, i.e. among defeats by the same
margin those where
the loser has a lower score are we deem weaker than those where the
loser has a higher score.*

Chris Benham