[EM] a method based on candidate separation

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 08:11:24 PDT 2014

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 6:34 PM, Forest Simmons <fsimmons at pcc.edu> wrote:

> Ross Hyman recently suggested a method that eliminates the pairwise loser
> of the bottom remaining candidates on a list (in his suggestion the list
> was a random ballot order) as long as there remain two or more uneliminated
> candidates.

Isn't that Sequential-Paiwise (SP), the method recmmended in Robert's
Rules, and used often in meetings and legislatures?

I recommend SP for meetings where quick show-of-hands voting is desired,
and where amicable conditions exist. For that purpose, I like it because it
meets the Smith Criterion, which implies MMC and Condorcet, especially
useful in an amicable electorate not subject to chicken-dilemma.

> It got me to thinking that ideally we would eliminate the pairwise loser
> of the two candidates with the most separation in issue space.

Yes, interestng suggestion. And that measure of importance of pairwise
defeats could be applied to other methods too, including Condorcet methods.
For example, it suggests a version of MAM that measures defeat-strength by
candidate-separation.

As you point out, candidate-separaton is difficult, but not impossible, to
measure.

> I don't suggest this as another public proposal, but for use as a standard
> of comparison like MAM, when range style ballots are used.

Yes, MAM, SP(candidate-separation), or MAM(candidate-separation) could be
used as a comparison-standard, for that pre-election poll, where
comparison-standard-winner is reported, and also is reported the way of
voting that would elect that winner in the binding election's method (e.g.
Benham) at Nash Equilibrium.

Michael Ossipoff