[EM] Proportional Approval System + Score conversion

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 2 10:05:39 PDT 2014

I was thinking about a score voting version of this, and I think I've got it to work. I was struggling because the system only works with exact approvals rather than fractional scores. But instead of fractional scores, a score of e.g. 9 out of 10 can be translated into 0.9 people approving the candidate and 0.1 people not approving them. If I score a 9 and a 7 to two candidates, then this would be 0.9 * 0.7 approving both, 0.9 * 0.3 approving just the former, 0.1 * 0.7 approving the latter and 0.1 * 0.3 approving neither.

If I give a candidate 1 out of 10, and no-one else gives them anything, then if that candidate gets elected then the 0.1 voter "possesses" 1/number of voters, so 10 of the candidate. This might seem a weird anomaly, but it doesn't actually break the system. It's just what happens so that every candidate provides the same total amount of representation for the voters.

This system should always elect the score winner where there is a single winner. For example with scores out of 100:

Elect 1

1 voter: A=100, B=49
1 voter: A=0, B=49

Elected candidates/voters = 1/2 = 0.5, so that's the target score that we work out the deviation from.

Normal score voting would obviously elect A. If A is elected, then 1 voter has a score of 1 and the other has a score of 0. So the total squared deviation from 0.5 (candidates/voters) is 0.5^2 + 0.5^2 = 0.5

If B is elected, 0.98 voters have a score of 1/0.98 = 1.02. 1.02 voters have a score of 0. The squared deviation from 0.5 is 0.98*0.52^2 + 1.02*0.5^2 = 0.52. This is a higher deviation so A is elected.