[EM] Retiring from voting systems, quitting EM

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Thu Jul 24 21:19:57 PDT 2014

Hi Daniel,

What I see in the example is that in the WV election, the addition of one voter moved

the win from a candidate with a lot of first preferences to one who had had none. But
that can't be the intention exactly, because if one cares about first preferences then margins
isn't a good method either.

I guess (though it's not crystal clear to me) that you aren't saying you have a problem with

the 101-voter scenario's outcome per se, only how it can be reached and how it changes
via the addition of one single ballot.

For this to be a general claim of margins over WV we would probably run simulations
aiming to show that margins has greater stability of its result, I suppose. I can see why
that finding might be possible. But instability doesn't seem to have inherent victims, which
would make me more tolerant of it.

I like to imagine how this would play out if ABCD were four options being considered by
an assembly. If the larger blocs are unwilling to vote for anyone but their favorite, then
indeed the 101st voter will have to flip a coin to break the A-C tie, if he felt like it. But
otherwise, how can the A and C factions avoid trying to form a coalition with the B>D
voter? The alternative is to lose entirely.

(As far as why to bring an assembly into it: Because members of an assembly typically
have good information about how many votes are prepared to go in which ways, and
consequently they aren't likely to regret voting for/against some proposal for the reason
that they didn't realize another option was viable. Thus trying to imitate the process
of a deliberating assembly, when designing a method, should help reduce voter regrets,
i.e. strategy incentives.)

Kevin