[EM] Realistic strategy questions

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Tue Feb 25 17:52:53 PST 2014

________________________________
 De : Toby Pereira <tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk>
À : Kevin Venzke <stepjak at yahoo.fr>; em <election-methods at electorama.com>
Envoyé le : Mardi 25 février 2014 5h09
Objet : Re: [EM] Realistic strategy questions

Thank you for the information, Kevin. So compression is the same as burial where you insincerely rank down your perceived main opponent? Compromising being where you raise a candidate that isn't your favourite to help it win.

Hi Toby,

Sorry I didn't say: The way I usually use these terms, if your sincere vote would be A>B>C, then "compromise" means voting B>A>C (just as you say) and "compression" means A=B>C. The latter is less drastic in terms of how insincere it is.

But technically I would say that compression is actually a type of compromise, and you could similarly say truncation is a type of burial.

Kevin