[EM] Realistic strategy questions

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Mon Feb 24 12:30:42 PST 2014

Hi Toby,

In my own simulations (in which voting blocs learn how the method works through repeated polls, until ultimately one poll becomes the election result) the consistent difference between WV and margins was favorite betrayal (i.e. WV sees compression incentive where margins sees compromise incentive). IIRC the two usually scored pretty similarly with regard to sincere CW election rate and "utility maximizer" election rate.

Actually, I found most methods pretty hard to differentiate wrt social utility. Given the vast range of possible underlying voter utilities, I think the actual voter utilities are very hard to perceive, even if the (strategic) votes aren't very distorted from the truth.

Jameson, does your strategy #3 "fully strategic" mean Warren-style "use favorite betrayal and burial no matter what"? Or is it more of an approval-style "everybody gets an A or an F" thing, under the methods that allow it at least?

Does your polling system do a round of Range voting, or something like that?

My concern would of course be the possibility of supposing behavior that doesn't happen to make sense in a specific scenario. I see that you have some conditions to try to avoid this. But naturally if "strategic" voters strategize poorly (either too much or too little, or not in the right way) or "unevenly" poorly (among the various methods and scenarios) this could bias a method's final score (either positively or negatively!).

Kevin