[EM] Condorcet clustering methods: correction and quotas

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sun Feb 23 05:14:43 PST 2014

On 02/23/2014 12:17 PM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
> I didn't quite realize it at first, but the method (and thus Monroe's
> original method) has an implied quota.
>
> In his paper, Monroe says that each winner (of which there are m, for m
> seats) is associated with a constituency of n/m voters, for n voters in
> total (p. 928, American Political Science Review, Vol. 89, No. 4). This
> means that every constituency (what I've been calling a cluster) is of
> the same size.

Whoops. Disregard what I said there. In his paper, Monroe further says:

"One particular system - the 'Ste-Laguë' or 'Webster' system - has as
its goal the equalization of n/m (in our terms). If we take the pure FPR
system and limit voters to expressing first preferences alone, we will
get exactly the same results."

IOW, that standard Monroe is Webster-based, or rather, reduces to it
(rather than reducing to LR-Hare).