[EM] Integer program for Minmax clustering

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Mon Feb 10 00:21:36 PST 2014

With all the recent posts about clustering methods, I thought I would
find out if I could create a minmax clustering program. I finally
managed to do so, albeit it currently only really works with full
ranking (since its election mode is "pairwise opposition" at the
moment)[1]. It is also quite slow. Even with my simple example, it takes
a really long time to finish in party list mode for 15 seats and
greater. Finally, there's no guarantee it breaks ties in a fair manner -
there's no explicit tiebreaking code in there.

Still, it could be useful, and it *does* show that a Condorcet version
of Monroe's method is possible, so I'll attach it. It's in AMPL format
and needs a MIP solver (like the one in the GNU Linear Programming Kit)
to be run.

The strategy is that each cluster has a minwinner number for each
candidate, where that number is forced to be the least victory for that
candidate in the cluster. Constraints then further force the system to
pick only one of these as winners, and that is used in the objective
function to be maximized.

Again, there is significant room for improvement. The program could
possibly be altered to use an advanced method[2] instead of minmax, or
at least to use margins instead of PO (to avoid certain problems I have
mentioned before).

-

[1] There are two reasons as to why the better Condorcet rendering
methods aren't used here. First, implementing wv in a linear program is
hard (without using more integer-only parameters, which are usually
expensive in terms of considerably slowing down solution time). Second,
the way minmax has been handled here, it's plain old minmax, not
"ext-minmax" (leximin-max). Thus all the zeroes in wv would make every
candidate tie. Margins might be easier to implement, but I got weird
results when I tried.

[2] Here I'm thinking of River in particular. It would be easier to
implement than Schulze, it's probably quicker than Ranked Pairs when all
we need is a winner, it's cloneproof and all those nice things, and we
get ISDA without any additional effort compared to Ranked Pairs.