[EM] Empirical voting experiment: first numbers

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 16:05:33 PDT 2014

As many of you know, I've been running an online voting experiment using
human subjects from Amazon Mechanical Turk. I'm using a 3-candidate,
9-voter "chicken dilemma" scenario, with factions of 4, 2, and 3 voters:

Cand:        X  Y  Z
Faction:
Red   4      3  1  0
Green 2      0  3  2
Blue  3      0  2  3
    Size     payoffs

Each group of 9 gets assigned factions and a voting method, and runs the
election 3 times, with monetary payoffs proportional to the numbers above
in the last two rounds. Then they answer a survey about how fair, easy to
vote, and easy to understand they found the method, plus some demographic
questions.

The voting systems I have tested so far include approval, Borda, Condorcet
(minimax), IRV, MAV (medians), plurality, and score. I plan to also test
SODA very soon.

My analysis of the outcomes and strategies is not yet ready to share here.
However, I have some numbers on the survey results. I used a
Kruskall-Wallis comparison test, appropriate for Likert-scale results like
these. Here are the results for the question "How easy was it to
*understand* {{methName}} (the voting system you used)?":

        trt    means   M
1 approval  231.2388   a
2 borda     229.7286   a
3 score     205.4898  ab
4 MAV       195.5761 abc
5 plurality 172.9545  bc
6 condorcet 165.3897   c
7 IRV       118.8281   d

The important thing about the above table are the letters at the end. If
two systems share at least one letter in common, the differences between
those systems are not statistically significant. So we can safely say, for
instance, that Approval and Borda are easier to understand than Condorcet,
but we can't tell whether MAV is as understandable as the former or as
confusing as the latter.

Now, one thing in this table gives me pause: the result for plurality.
Sure, approval and Borda are simple and intuitive for most people; but are
they really more so than plurality? I suspect that this may reflect a flaw
in my experiment. People assigned to plurality may, as they take the
survey, still be very hazy on what "voting method" means. If all they've
ever seen is plurality, it's hard for them to imagine something different.
So they may effectively be answering a different question... something
like, "How easy was it to understand this experiment as a whole?"

However, I think that the rest of the numbers here are reliable. So
clearly, IRV is hard to understand, and Approval and Borda are easy.

Now, for the question "How easy was it to figure out *how to vote* in
{{methName}}?":

        trt    means  M
1 approval  214.8881  a
2 score     211.1531  a
3 borda     206.8429 ab
4 MAV       195.7717 ab
5 plurality 190.6970 ab
6 condorcet 167.6250  b
7 IRV       163.4531  b

Generally, rated methods are at the top, ranked ones are at the bottom;
though Borda may be (perceived to be) an exception. Again, we can't
entirely rely on the number for plurality.

Finally, the question "How *fair* did {{methName}} seem to you?":

        trt    means  M
1 borda     209.0000  a
2 MAV       206.8587  a
3 approval  206.0571  a
4 condorcet 200.2721  a
5 score     189.3776 ab
6 plurality 158.3939  b
7 IRV       157.6094  b

Again, Approval comes in among the best, and IRV among the worst.
Surprisingly, score is not significantly better than plurality/IRV (though
it also isn't significantly worse than the best). In this case, though we
still have to take the plurality numbers with a grain of salt, I think it's
fair to give them some credence. Even if people were answering the question
"How fair did the results of this experiment seem to you?", it's not
unreasonable to lay whatever unfairness they saw at the feet of plurality.

I think these numbers are certainly interesting. To me, they clearly
bolster the case for joining forces behind approval activism, and for
eschewing IRV as an activist strategy; even for the majority of us who see
some other system as ultimately better than approval.

I'll be sharing more numbers from this experiment as I have them ready.
Also, if anybody here wants access to my raw data, I'd be happy to share;
though of course, I'd want you to duly cite me if you use them for anything.

Cheers,
Jameson