[EM] Sociological issues of elections

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Thu Sep 12 10:08:24 PDT 2013

Warning: long!

At 04:00 PM 9/11/2013, Fred Gohlke wrote:
>You mentioned a town meeting arrangement, and I'd like examine that
>for background on the inclusiveness of a political system.  Although
>a town meeting structure is often thought of as the purest form of
>democracy, it has flaws.

Every human institution has and will have flaws. *And* Town Meeting
is the purest form of democracy routinely experienced in government.

>Town meetings tend to favor assertive individuals,

Do they *favor* assertive individuals, or are assertive individuals
more successful in most endeavors? Some people don't *like* assertive
individuals. An assertive individuals who asserts unpopular views at
Town Meeting will not be "favored." However, an assertive individual,
with skill, may indeed be able to preferentially influence others.

>  and the decisions made in the meetings tend to be made by cliques,
> usually under the guidance of the same assertive individuals.

I don't believe what I'm going to say, but suppose it were true:
assertive individuals are *smarter* and know better what the town
should do, and others trust them for that reason. They are assertive
because they have found that it works.

>   Understanding how and why this happens is important if we are to
> construct an inclusive system.

If, in our investigation, we assume that there is something wrong
with being assertive, our "inclusive" system may well be *dumb*.
However, there are ways to be inclusive, in substance, without losing
the *advantages* of the existing system. I have long argued that we
must first understand what exists before we "reform it," and this is
especially true if what exists has been long standing, because it
developed and was adopted and continued *because it worked.* At least
in some ways, and those ways may be important.

>Jane Mansbridge examined such an arrangement in a town she gave the
>fictional name of Selby, Vermont, and described her findings in
>Beyond Adversary Democracy[1].  Her descriptions matched my personal
>experience in a village in a farming community in Western New York
>State in the 1930s and 1940s so accurately that I'll use excerpts
>from her book to describe the weaknesses in 'town meeting' democracy
>(showing the page references in brackets).

1930s and 1940s. That's over sixty years ago. Fred, you were a child.
You had the understanding of what was going on around you of a child.
Nothing wrong with that, but your views would be heavily biased by
your family environment and the story you were developing of what
life is about.

>Over the two hundred twenty six years of the United States'
>existence, our political system has gradually broken down.  We are
>now experiencing a political situation foretold by Jean Jacques
>Rousseau in a passage quoted by Mansfield:

The description is of loss of human connection. Each person is
floating in an ocean of currents and waves, buffeted by them, seeking
personal survival. The tribal unity, essentially instinctive, has
been lost. This development, from a larger perspective, may be
necessary, because tribal identity was not adequate to meet the
challenges of technological development; a larger identity was being
forged, and it began with much larger-scale identities, and it is
inexorably leading to "human identity."

Rousseau is describing a heavily dysfunctional stage, chaotic,
incoherent, and ultimately unstable.

>   "Finally, when the State, on the eve of ruin, maintains
>    only a vain, illusory, and formal existence, when in
>    every heart the social bond is broken, and the meanest
>    interest brazenly lays hold of the sacred name of 'public
>    good', the general will becomes mute, all men, guided by
>    secret motives, no more give their views as citizens
>    than if the State had never been, and iniquitous decrees
>    directed solely to private interest get passed under the
>    name of laws." [page 19]

Yet the rule of law is an essential development.

>Rousseau's description accurately fits the present state of politics
>in the United States.

Horse pucky. It's a very *partial* description, selected for
emotional impact. Rousseau is telling a *story*, not providing an
objective description. Others may read this story and think, at last,
someone is telling it like it is. However, these are simply people
who have developed the same story.

That story is heavily disempowering, because if it were "accurate,"
the matter would be hopeless. If we carry about a story that others
are acting as described, we will be completely unable to interact
positively with them, because they will not trust us. Our only choice
is to become as we imagine they are: self-interested, secretive,
etc., or, alternatively, to become martyrs to "the truth." I.e, the
stories we have, ourselves, made up.

I'm not saying that the stories are "false," but that they are
neither true nor false, they are *stories*, you could call them
*theories*, invented as an attempt to explain what we see, and
generally they can be traced back to that early judgment of a child:
there is something wrong here.

It's not that the child was wrong. It is that the response was the
invention of a child. And yet, we live on, much older, with far more
experience, relying on those childhood inventions *as if they are
simply the truth.* We develop an identity and simply believe that
this identity -- which typically limits us more than it expands and
empowers us -- is "just the way I am." And our understanding of
people, cartoonish, heavily colored with crayons, is "just the way it is."

This is what we do, almost all of us if not all. If that were all
that is possible for human beings, if I believed that, I'd be stuck
in *exactly the same trap.*

I'm talling a story, myself, but it is a story developed by adults
who have discovered that our human capacity to develop stories has a
function. It's *creative.* And we can *choose* the stories we tell.

We easily don't see this, we will commonly think that we are simply
telling the truth. What I'm describing is a *technology,* and I saw,
in myself, as I learned this, that I was heavily attached to my
"truth." That "truth" was obviously damaging my life and my
effectiveness, but, wasn't it just the truth?

We create the future through story. That's the function.

It's not magic, but it can certainly look like it. Whenever we
declare the future, and our "expectations" are a hidden form of
declaration, and if we act consistently with our declaration, it
*usually* happens. I do not know the limits of this, but I've seen it
work, again and again. Part of the "secret" is that individual
declaration is relatively weak. Collective declaration, two people or
more, is far more powerful.

I suggest The Starfish and the Spider, a study of how major social
transformations followed when an individual had an idea. One person
was not enough. When a second was inspired to action, *that* is when
the idea moved to transform society.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Starfish-Spider-Unstoppable-Organizations/dp/1591841836

>The need to envision an alternative to the present system is
>compelling, but, before we can do so, we must consider the human
>traits that deter us from achieving a truly democratic form of
>government, so we can devise a process that lessens their impact.

That may seem logical, but it incorporates the judgmental vision that
creates the compulsion. Notice: "truly democratic" is placed in
opposition to "human traits."

Yes. There are human traits that, undistinguished, can damage social
structure. But what is the *function* of social structure, and how
does it come to be that "true democracy" is set up as the goal? There
is clearly some vision of "true democracy," and it's *different* from
the actual institutions observed. We will see how this shows up. I
would suggest another idea for consideration: some of these ideas are
utterly unworkable, actually *undesirable*, in that they would result
in *more damage.* However, there is something behind them, a wish or
an intuition, that is a reflection of a deep urge or insight.

My sense is that to fully understand this would require intense
*involvement* in social process, as well as a rigorous examination of oneself.

>Although called democratic, the participation in town meetings is
>limited.  As Mansbridge said about Selby, the Town Hall could not
>even accommodate the entire electorate:
>
>    [Page 47] "... the little building could never seat more
>    than half the town's potential voters."
>
>    [Page 48] "On this particular day, ninety of Selby's 350
>    or so potential voters were present for at least part of
>    the meeting."
>
>    [Page 76] "... some groups in Selby are more likely than
>    others to attend the town meeting.  The mechanism of one
>    citizen/one vote, majority rule in an open assembly
>    therefore consistently over-represents certain interests.

I have called this "participation bias." What Fred may not understand
-- I don't know Mansbridge's view -- is that reduced participation is
*necessary.* If every voter shows up for Town Meeting, Town Meeting
could do little but vote on an issue developed by a different
process, or only on very poorly deliberated motions.

The *real* issue is whether or not those who participate *represent*
the Town. That is not obvious or easy to judge, but it will be
*generally so," for a reason I'll detail.

>Here, we see that although the process is nominally open to everyone
>in the community, and thus is deemed democratic, the reality is that
>only about one quarter of the people actually participate in any
>part of the process.

That's a judgment heavily colored by expectation and limitation. The
"process" is much larger than the Town Meeting itself.

I lived, fairly recently, in a Town Meeting town, Cummington,
Massachusetts. The Town Hall could accomodate at most about 300
people, packed in. That was probably about half of the registered
voters. And, I'm sure, this is common, typical every town. Most towns
could not afford to have a building that would accommodate all the
town's voters. They *could* hold an open meeting in the open, on the
Fairgrounds, for example.

I think that quorum was something like thirty. And it was not
uncommon for participants to be scrambling, calling people, to reach
a quorum for a scheduled Town Meeting. Does this mean that it isn't democratic?

Certainly not! Exactly what is going on can vary from time to time
and place to place, but when Town Meeting was considering an issue
over which people had high personal interest, that Town Hall was
packed. What would happen, generally, is that there would be some
speeches made on the issue, and any actual decision was postponed; in
one case that I know of, a series of hearings were scheduled, where
anyone in the town could come and discuss the issue.

Low participation in meetings does *not* indicate a loss of
democracy, not by itself. It does indicate what should be obvious:
most people have little interest in town-level decisions, or,
alternatively, they trust those who *do* participate.

Here, some anecdotes are recited, to attempt to establish a different view:

>   To give us a little insight into why this is so, I will cite the
> comments of two citizens:
>
>    [Page 61] Elizabeth Hurley, who "has not attended a
>    town meeting in the last ten years", said:
>
>    "I don't care to -- well, to tell my part, you know,
>     right agin a whole mess of people ... I don't know,
>     I don't like to get up in town meeting and say, well,
>     this and that ... well, everybody's looking, or doing
>     something, and they'll say [whisper], "She's a fool!"
>     There's one man in particular [Bedell], that's up on
>     this road here, boy oh boy, he's into hot water all
>     the time.  [JM: He talks up in town meetings?]  Oh!
>     Gracious to Betsy, I guess he did.  [JM: Do people
>     pay attention to him?]  Hah, hah, no they don't, boy,
>     we just, ah ..."

This means? In fact, "Bedell" goes to Town Meeting and participates,
even though "Hurley" thinks he's in "hot water." Hurley doesn't want
to get involved, simply does not care enough about Town issues to
face disagreement. That would mean that she expects her views would
not be popular. What if she's right? Regardless, she's not willing to
take the risk. And taking that risk is what is necessary for
*participation* in democracy. It's her choice. Almost certainly, if
she really cared about a Town issue, she'd go, unless she is a total coward.

And she is a part of that social rejection, notice, in her story.
Bedell is a fool. She is not willing to subject herself to how *she*
thinks about other people.

>    [Page 61] Florence Johnson, who "has never gone to a
>    town meeting.  Asked why she thinks so few people go,
>    she answers" ...
>
>    "I don't know.  If you go there, and you speak up, they
>     make fun of you for speaking up and so on, and I guess
>     people just don't want to go and be made fun of.  Why
>     I don't say anything so they don't just laugh it off
>     anyway.
>
>    "I mean we have some friends [Bedell] that went last year,
>     and the guy stood up, and he said some things about a few
>     issues ... and they just laughed at him.  So what good
>     did it do him to open his mouth?  I mean, he'd have been
>     better off if he had stayed home."

Notice that the *same* person, Bedell, is involved. Florence is
heavily sensitive to social judgment. She seems to have no concept
that Bedell might sleep better at night for giving his opinion. To
her, being laughed at is the ultimate disaster, and she thinks that's
so for him.

Bedell is either a brave man, or a crank, or both. In either case,
it's possible for Bedell to develop skills at speaking so that he can
create different responses from people. This is *likely* to happen if
Bedell goes to Town Meeting regularly, does this for a few years, and
probably keeps his mouth shut for a while, listening, until he's
thoroughly familiar with the "language." I know Bedell's position,
I've been there. What I learned to do was to stop speaking for
myself, and my own idiosyncratic -- if brilliant -- ideas, but for
"us." People instinctively recognize when others are doing this, and
they listen. After all, the person is speaking for *them.* A naive
speaker will see the group process and thinking and will criticize it
*from outside,* with a hidden story: "You are all fools." And this
judgment will then show up in the reflection from the group.

An individual may well be the first in a group to see what is
missing. Communicating this effectively is a *skill*. Some may have
it naturally, others may need to develop it.

>It is commonplace to condemn the electorate for not participating in
>the political process, but we must not ignore the very real, very
>natural, reactions of humans to the atmosphere prevalent in meetings
>of large groups of people.

Essentially, most of us are not trained as speakers and
communicators, or poorly trained. In the training I've been
following, now, it is very common for people to reveal that they are
shy about speaking in public. And then, as the original of this
"identity" -- because that's what it is -- is grasped, as the tools
are developed for setting that identity aside, they become powerful
speakers, it's like clockwork. People who were "shy" become able to
speak to hundreds of people with apparent ease.

In fact, they still experience what they always did, a moment of
fear, based on remembered childhood experiences, where they spoke up
and were ridiculed. And then they, with increasing facility from
practice, *drop that* as something that happened in the past, that
has *nothing to do* with what is present and developing.

>The material in this section of the book describes the feelings of
>personal discomfort participants experience in large meetings.  Yet,
>those who experienced this discomfort were able to discuss political
>issues in a one-on-one setting (with Mansbridge). This suggests, if
>we want the entire electorate to participate in the political
>process, it is important to avoid large assemblies.

I'd agree with the conclusion, but not with the reasoning, or, I'd
make it more specific. We would avoid "large assemblies," i.e.,
assemblies of the full electorate. Those aren't possible anyway!

What we would do is to set up structure such that all citizens can
*participate* in the *full process* if they choose to. Many will
still choose not to participate, and *there is nothing wrong with this.*

The size of the actual Town Meeting, the decision-making body with
legal authority, would need to be, then, whatever is necessary so
that *all citizens* are represented, who care to be so.

*This already happens informally.*

I proposed a delegable proxy system in my small town. The most
influential individual in Town, as to being widely trusted, was
probably the minister at the Community Church. He thought it was a
brilliant idea, and set up a meeting to discuss it. Only his wife and
one or two other people showed up. Why? Basically, people don't think
the system is broken, so why fix it?

I discussed it with the chair of the Board of Selectmen. This person
had always been completely welcoming, inviting us, as newcomers, to
fully participate in town government. His thinking was that it wasn't
necessary, that the existing process already worked.

Now, I saw how it didn't work. There was, in fact, a gap between Town
Meeting decisions and those of the voters, because there was a
measure passed by Town Meeting, by a substantial majority, that state
law required be submitted to the voters -- and that would be common.
The law *does*, in effect, recognize the problem of participation
bias. So, for some decisions, Town Meeting is simply nominating a
measure for submission to the voters. The measure failed.
Essentially, the need for the expenditure had not been communicated
to the voters. What I was suggesting would practically guarantee that
Town Meeting and the full electorate would track each other, more reliably.

But the chair was right, also. The existing system *usually* works.

I now know how to communicate new ideas more effectively. I don't
live there any more, and I live in a Mayor/Council town. I have not
become locally involved politically, but I do see that those who
*are* involved are always soliciting citizen input. Because
vote-for-one, single-member districts are used, there can be a larger
gap. Still, my town is considered one of the nicest small towns in
North America, that, indeed, is why we moved there. There is a very
strong sense of an inclusive "us," this is our "Home Town," the title
of a book about the town by Tracy Kidder.

But I did not really get that feeling about the town until I went out
and walked about the downtown for about six months, talking to
everyone who would talk with me. I *created* it, through real,
face-to-face interactions with people.

>Another flaw in the town meeting concept is the tendency of the
>process to resolve public issues in private, outside the process.

Yet that is *necessary*. It is *not* "outside the process," that is,
in fact, how Town Meeting *works.* It's an error to consider that the
outside discussions "resolve" the issues. Rather, they develop
resolutions that are then accepted by the public meeting. This is
normal for *all democratic organizations,* including private
nonprofits. If something is controversial, it's not necessarily wise
to attempt to introduce it without establishing at least a wider
agreement on it than might exist, knee-jerk, if a motion is made in a meeting.

Standard democratic process, when something is controversial, is to
refer it to committee. Committees, in small towns, tend to be whoever
cares enough to participate. I mentioned that the Town Meeting, on a
controversial issue, scheduled a series of hearings. Were these
"outside" the process, or a part of it? (Actually, the Board of
Selectmen makes decisions for Town Meeting, ad hoc, between meetings,
and so it was the Board that did this.)

Ultimately, the voters approved the measure, which built a new Public
Safety Complex. It is very possible that the plans were modified in
the process, reflecting public input. It looks like the system
worked, and what I'd have suggested might simply have allowed it to
work a little more efficiently. My sense is that a delegable proxy
system, which would have no *legal* authority, but which would
mutually advise the Town Meeting and the voters, would increase the
already strong sense among citizens that this is "our town."

The non-attendees described above did, I'd guess, have a strong sense
of "our town," but not necessarily that they were an important part
of town process. It's unclear. Those non-attendees did not express
any sense that decisions being made were outside what they might
generally approve. Rather, those stories were viewed from a context
that thinks of democracy as requiring "full participation," with a
very primitive concept of what full participation would mean.

There was nothing stopping these neighbors from talking with others
about issues coming up before Town Meeting, and those issues are
formally *noticed,* if they cared about them. As noted, they were not
shy about expressing their opinions to other individuals. So
*already*, if they wanted to be represented, they were.

What I've suggested would formalize this informal structure, but very
simply and without anything more than trivial cost. No elections. No
new formal deliberative bodies. Just individual conversations and
maybe a few informal get-togethers. Social stuff.

>    [Page 62] "To counter the anxiety of speaking in public,
>    groups will sometimes caucus before they anticipate a
>    major conflict, delegate some of their number to speak,
>    and rev up the motors of self-confidence by assuring one
>    another that they are right."

Well, that's a view of the process as one of conflict, of "right" and
"wrong." Certainly, though, this is quite what happens. However, this
is not necessarily done to "counter the anxiety of speaking in
public." That would only apply to those who actually go to the Town
Meeting, and many Town Meeting participants don't have that fear, or
are not dominated by it.

The process described is similar to delegable proxy, but informal, ad
hoc. What delegable proxy would add is some way of *measuring*
participation and a priori consensus.

>    Thus, as James Pedley said:
>
>    [Page 69] "Sometimes a few people get together and sort
>    of cut and dry things.  Someone will get up and make a
>    nomination, someone second it, and someone else get up
>    and move the nominations close.  It's very cut and dried."

*If accepted.* It was common in Cummington elections that there was
only one candidate for each office. That's efficient, in fact, the
election is a *ratification*, and write-ins were, in theory,
accepted. Small towns tend to avoid contentious process. This is not,
however, "cut and dried." That motion to close nominations must pass
with a majority, at least. (Under some rules it might need a supermajority).

Basically, if it's quite clear to the Town Meeting that existing
nominations are adequate, and Town Meeting time is precious, as it
is, why take it up for something that will have no practical effect?
If someone has a serious candidacy, they would have developed prior
support, and even a fairly small faction can ensure that a nomination
is made, *unless Town Meeting is dead-set against it, by a majority.*

The discussion above assumes that the motion to close is instant. A
skilled moderator will ask, after the first nomination, if there are
any other nominations, and that motion to close will ordinarily not
be recognized by the moderator unless there is no immediate response.
A great deal of the effective function of Town Meeting process is
bound up with the skill of the moderator. If a moderator is biased,
the Town Meeting is in trouble.

If the moderator is biased toward the view of the majority, what is
in trouble is the unity of the town. Skilled moderators understand
this, and will act, as is the job of the moderator, to protect
minority opinion from being crushed without opportunity to be heard.
That's crucial for the continuity of Town unity. Practically everone
is in the minority on some issue or other.

I'll say this: the minority is usually "wrong," but is "right" often
enough that it is well worth some substantial effort to ensure that
significant minority opinion is heard. Under normal rules of
deliberative process, it's difficult to "shut up" a one-third
minority. Smaller than that, yes. And it's totally appropriate to
suggest to such a minority that they discuss their views *outside of
the meeting* to develop support for them *first.*

>    [Page 75] "The divergent views of young and old, high and
>    low taxpayers, and villagers and non-villagers on the issue
>    of school expenses and transportation never surfaced, for
>    example.  Not bringing conflicts into the open like this
>    usually gives more power to the members of whatever inside
>    group settles things before or after the meeting."

Yet if a substantial minority of the town wants open consideration,
they can ensure it. There is a concept here that there is a faction
that resolves matters outside of the meeting, but such a faction is
ad-hoc and only has special power in the meeting to the extent that
it influences a majority of Town Meeting participants.

What is actually happening, in the above story, is that some members
are informally organized, and some members are not, and it is no
surprise that those who are organized are more effective.

Once we understand Range Voting and how it works, we can start to
understand the importance of *preference strength.* Those who have
low *real* preference strength may not bother to vote on an issue,
may not bother to discuss it, and if this low preference strength
covers all Town issues, may not *ever* bother to go to Town Meeting.

Yet, when they talk with someone, they may voice complaints. Given
that in a Town Meeting town, they actully *can* do something about
the situation, there are two possibilities: they simply like to
complain, as many do, or they are in despair that they could be
heard. Logically, that indicates that they believe they are in a
minority, for if they believed that they were in the majority, and
given how Town Meeting works, they could *easily* prevail, if they
make the effort. Yet they have already an understanding, perhaps,
that a minority *can* prevail. Isn't that what is being implied in
the discussion? What's the difference?

The difference is that, to prevail, a minority must be more organized
than the majority. That indicates, generally, higher preference
strength. "Majority Rule" implies, to some extent, equal preference
strength. We know that Majority Rule is defective, we can come up
with clear examples, but, in fact, real deliberative process
*handles* those examples. Real process *includes* that entire
outside-the-meeting structure, it *depends* on it. It formalizes it,
sometimes, by forming a committee, or by organizing hearings.

And it works.

There is, behind the claim above, it could be, a view that there is
something "wrong" with some members having more power than others.
Yet, if that power has effectively been delegated to those members,
it is not "personal power," it is *collective power.*

It is *representative democracy*, only informal.

There are systems for formalizing this. The question in small towns
is how necessary they are, if existing systems work well enough.

What really happens to Town Meeting democracy is that towns grow and
the Town Meeting becomes more and more cumbersome. The Town of
Amherst, Massachusetts has what is still called Town Meeting, but it
is an elected, representative body. It's very large, and it is
*famously* cumbersome. The Town narrowly avoided the loss of this
structure, specifically enabled by the State, in two recent public
votes, very close, so unpopular is it. Basically, they created
representation through single-winner elections with very small
districts. Bad Idea. The largest problem with that Town Meeting is
that it is *way too large* to function efficiently. It would need to
be substantially smaller. Asset Voting would be spectacular there,
and could create a Town Meeting of the most desirable size, that
*fully represents* the voters.

It's not "Town Meeting" though it is still called that. Mess.

>    [Page 75] "As a result, when interests do conflict, the
>    town's officers are not representative of the citizenry
>    and may have both interests and preferences at odds with
>    those of the majority. This elite is also likely. consciously
>    or unconsciously, to prevent some decisions from reaching
>    the policy arena at all."

The Town's officers do represent the citizenry, but not perfectly.
The picture being presented is of an unorganized majority. Within the
system, the solution is obvious, but it does take some effort, and
the problem is that *people won't put in that effort.* So they
*tolerate* the existing system, and by tolerating it, they *allow*
those town officers to represent them. They have *consented*, in
actual fact, consented by not objecting.

When a moderator says, at a meeting in formal session, "Without
objection ...." and proposes a ruling, and nobody speaks up, the
meeting *has legally consented, unanimously*, when the moderator
gavels that issue closed. That does give every member an opportunity,
under most rules, to reverse their decision, to request
Reconsideration, but disempowered majorities are frequently without
undertanding of the Rules. They haven't cared enough about the
process to learn them.

TANSTAAFL.

>This material tells us that, if we are to increase the inclusiveness
>of the political process, if we are to empower every member of the
>electorate by letting them participate in the practice of politics
>to the full extent of each individual's desire and ability, we must
>devise a process that does not expose the people to ridicule for
>expressing their views.

Yet if they talk individually with their neighbor about their
feelings, they expose themselves to ridicule by that neighbor. I
wonder how far we would go to protect the sensitivity of extremely
shy people. Delegable proxy does go very far to allow full input. I
have generally suggested that people would choose, as their proxy,
the person they are most free in conversation with, with whom they
feel the most safe.

Yet this conversation could already take place, and does already take
place. These people are *not*, as pretended, excluded from the
political process. Rather, their shyness self-excludes from Town
Meeting process, that's all. They could still go to Town Meeting and
vote, or are they also afraid to be identified as a member of a
minority faction? Even if so, most laws require major decisions to be
ratified by secret ballot elections. Yes, if they are afraid to speak
up, and if they don't engage a neighbor to speak for them, and if
they won't even attend or vote at Town Meeting, they can still vote
in a public election, on offices and measures.

*They already can participate to the "Full extent of the individual's
desire and ability."* We can make that process more efficent, but
it's not that it's not already possible.

>One may argue that voting does not expose anyone to ridicule, but
>the efficacy of the vote is open to question.

Indeed. If a position is a minority position, voting does not seem to
be efficacious. However, it still is. If voters vote sincerely, they
then can see the extent of the acceptance of their position. If it's
not truly small, then they can see that organizing might be effective.

>   The right to vote would be an essential element of democracy if
> the people were able to select the people and the issues for which they vote.

They are, in Town Meeting government. In other locations, with
representative government, the access is through representatives. We
have defective election systems that clear prevent form
representative bodies from being truly representative.

Town Meeting is effectively a representative body, but not formally.
Every registered voter has an equal right to be present and to debate
and vote. Voting is essentially inalienable as a right, unless the
voter is actively excluded from Town Meeting, which is possible but
rare. Debate is conditional upon the consent of the assembly, that's
true for every assembly with formal process under traditional rules.

The people *are already able.* Most of us, though, are in despair of
some kind or other about the utility of attempting to participate.

>However, in the United States, the people's right to select the
>candidates and decide the issues on which the people vote has been
>usurped by the political parties.  They have arrogated to themselves
>the right to name the candidates for public office.

We have consented to this. There is a contradiction in Fred's
thinking. Do we, as individuals, have the "right to name candidates"
for office?

In most places, yes. But we may have to act collectively to do it.
And a political party is an organized collection of people. We
created political parties for this very purpose, and we choose to
support parties or not, and we choose what parties to support and how.

TANSTAAFL.

Individuals and organizations may be arrogant, but arrogance, itself,
gives them no power, it only enables an attempt. We consent to this,
mostly by silence. We are responsible, I'll claim, for what we allow
to happen without objection. And, indeed, we suffer for it, as would
be expected, where what we allow to happen causes harm.

>Voting, as carried on in elections for public office, has been
>transformed from an intellectual exercise to an emotional one, and
>we suffer badly because of it.

Whether or not we suffer "because of it" is a *choice.*

Notice the implied superiority of "intellectual exercise" to
"emotional exercise." I'll just say it: this is the arrogance of an
intellectual, someone divorced from real connection with people, who
is standing, he imagines, outside the halls of power, making it all wrong.

What I can easily see as missing from public process in the United
States, generally, is what I'd call *deep consideration*, such that
decisions are *fully deliberated.* Mostly, and for most of us, we
don't know how to do that. It is only partially true that deep
consideration is avoided because it would harm certain interests.
Mostly, the matter is much simpler. We don't have a clue, most of us
have no experience with genuine consensus process -- which *requires*
deep consideration.

>   In America, the right to vote is not evidence of democracy, it
> expresses our status as subjects of the political parties that gave
> us our options.  If we are to improve our political infrastructure,
> we must recognize that:

The right to vote is very direct and simple evidence of democracy.
It's not the only element; if the citizens have *no control* over
whom they can vote for, if political parties cannot be formed anew;
if, essentially, what we vote for is no subject to our choice, then
we may have elections, and choices may be made by vote, but only from
a very limited set. They had elections in what most of us would
consider to be brutal dictatorships. So there are certain additional
elements necessary beyond the right to vote. In the U.S., generally,
those additional elements are present, but there is constant attack
on them, by organized party power, generally. They are being chipped
ways, seen as "unnecessary," etc.

For example, the California constitution requires that write-in votes
be allowed and counted in all elections. In standard deliberative
process, if an election fails to find a majority, there is a *new
election.* It's not subsidiary to the original election, which
*failed* and became moot.

In California law, then, some elections have required a majority in
the first round. If that failed, then a *new election* was held.
Routinely, the top two candidates from the first election were placed
on the ballot. Should write-ins be allowed? Routinely, they were, for
a long time. In San Francisco, they require write-in candidates to be
registered, to have their votes counted. That was considered to be
reasonably close to the constitutional requirement to be acceptable.
(Basically, especially with a large jurisdiction, identifying
write-in votes can be a serious problem for an election clerk.)

Just before RCV was implemented in San Francisco, the last election
under the prior runoff system, the Board of Supervisors passed a rule
that write-ins were not allowed in the runoff, torpedoing an existing
write-in candidacy that might have had a chance of winning. This was
ultimately taken to the California Supreme Court, which ruled that
the city had the right to do this, because write-ins were allowed in
"the election." Yet the first election had failed and there was a new
one, merely with different rules for being on the ballot. Now, where
were all the voting systems activists when this decision was made? I
see no sign that we were even aware of it. Most of us, I think, had
concluded that runoff voting was a Bad Idea anyway.

Yet Runoff Voting is the most widely-implemented reformed voting
system, it was all the rage among political scientists years ago.
Yes, it's defective. But write-in voting *can fix those defects*, and
that has been actually observed.

My point: for narrow political purpose, an important aspect of the
voting system, giving voters a certain freedom, was demolished. And
we did nothing. We consented to it. We are responsible.

>   THOSE WHO CONTROL THE OPTIONS, CONTROL THE OUTCOME.

Yes. Now, who controls the options. Indeed, suppose it's, say, the
Democratic Party. Who controls the Democratic Party, and how?

>You made the critical point that, with an electorate in the
>multi-millions of people,
>
>   "... we need somebody to act for us, but few enough that
>    that they can still govern by deliberation.  Hence,
>    representative, elected democracy."

Yes. Classic argument, and sound. The problem is that most election
systems avoid full representation, and, my suspicion, the reason for
this is that we don't trust full democracy.

>In the United States, the number of representatives in the two
>Houses of Congress seem (to me) reasonable.

It's not, unless Congress is considered to be a device to appoint and
review the process in smaller bodies. That is how it actually
functions, almost everything is done in committee.

The party system is relatively inflexible, there is high investment
in structure and thus structure becomes highly conservative, usually.
It's not reliably representative, is how I'd put it.

>   That leaves the question of how the representatives are to be
> selected.  You mentioned that delegable proxy lets the deliberation
> happen "on the outside", presumably before the representative is chosen.

I don't know who the "you" is. Fred did not identify to whom he was responding.

>   However, I'm not sure if that approach requires or allows
> political campaigning, which is a corrosive activity that demands
> huge expenditures to manipulate the voting public.

Delegable proxy, by nature, requires no campaigning. Delegable proxy
systems are generally constructed to be very low-cost. Investment is
minimal, trivial.

In the general Free Association/Delegable Proxy process, "outside"
deliberation generates advice that is designed to be trustworthy.
That advice is *not* necessarily a unified position, it may be
divided. Under those conditions, the advice may come in factional
flavors. Thus the system will roughly measure the support for each
position. Taking this into an actual process or political campaign,
it becomes possible to estimate what will be successful. And then to
avoid wasting effort and scarce funds on campaigns that aren't going
to succeed.

Rather, a faction that sees that its campaign is unlikely to be
successful, in an immediate effort, will conserve its resources instead.

Or it can decide not to trust the process, to risk it all, etc.

On the other hand, if it identifies, through the process, that the
campaign is likely to be successful, this will indicate that there is
already broad support, and the *structure* that FA/DP process sets up
creates, by default, a means of collecting funds *outside the FA/DP
organization*. The FA/DP organization's function is only to
facilitate communication, cooperation, and coordination, not to
*control* it. Otherwise, it would become yet another corruptible
structure, subject to the Iron Law of Oligarchy, which, by the way,
is worth understanding. It's real. There is a way around it, to,
essentially, *use* it.

People like Fred think that Oligarchy is "bad," the enemy of
democracy, etc. Since this *is* called the Iron Law for a reason,
that is, then, a disempowering stand. It's like spitting in the wind,
the results are inevitable.

>re: "But on the other extreme, consider you have an emperor (or
>      an elected king).  If you suspect corruption from power is
>      a real problem, then you have to set up some form of
>      oversight.  The oversight doesn't automatically arise from
>      the system itself, but rather has to be separately
>      implemented."

I don't think I wrote this, but it's expressing a basic idea, first
expressed well by Montesquieu, the separation of the judicial
function from the executive. FA/DP organizations would set up a *pure
judicial function* with *no* executive power. They are designed that
way, to avoid corruption. However, they generate *advice*, through
massively distributed discussion and consideration. This process is,
again by design, *efficient.* That is, the discussions are generally
small, among people with rapport. High-level discussions allow
negotiation of broader consensus, and this requires a heavier
participation burden, but the reward is precisely broader consensus,
which is *powerful.*

The power, though, is exercised, not by the FA/DP organization, but
by those *advised*. Which would be, on the one hand, voters who are
watching the process, and who receive advice either by reviewing the
overall discussion, or, more efficiently, by *trusting their proxy."
On the other hand, the advice will be seen by executives, who can,
then, efficiently understand how their activities are seen by the
public, and including by experts and others, through a process that
shows how representative all these opinions actually are.

>Personally, I don't consider either a viable option, but you make
>the excellent point that neither automatically accommodates oversight.

FA/DP already exists. I have seen a value to participation in an
FA/DP process by *two people.* What takes place in FA/DP already
takes place, but without the formalization that creates a "directed
graph." There is very low cost to adding the formalization. When the
group is very small, many people will think of it as a fish bicycle,
simply not needed, and in a very small group, that's mostly true.
However, if the group should grow and the process is in place, DP
process will become invaluable, that's my prediction.

DP allows the informal process that makes small group process work,
to become scalable.

>   In a democracy, oversight should be exercised 'before' a
> candidate is elected to public office.  The electors need a way to
> assure themselves that the candidate's internal gyroscope is
> aligned with their objective(s) 'before' they make their choice.

The entire concept is flawed. There is an accepted concept of
large-scale elections that require massive agreement before the
election. Asset Voting pulls the rug out from under that assumption.
However, *if we have large-scale direct elections*, then,
pre-election process becomes critical. How do we, as voters, know
what the candidates are *really like*?

As a "modest proposal" that could point out a path to this, years
ago, I proposed an election rule: to vote for a candidate, you must
*personally know* the candidate.

Obviously that would not work as a simple rule. However, DP was
invented, as to my own work, to make *indirect knowledge* possible.
If I want to meet my Senator, personally, it can be difficult. But if
I have established that I represent N voters, it can be quite easy.
If N is large enough, the Senator will want to meet me! How large is N?

It's actually not very large!

>   Therefore, the electoral method must ensure that candidates are
> carefully examined by people with a direct interest in uncovering
> any aspect of a candidate's intentions that is at odds with the
> public interest.

And how are these people chosen? FA/DP sets up this process, in
effect, and avoids any "institutionalization" of the investigational
body. I can imagine a detective agency that is hired by groups of
voters, routinely. There can be many such. The groups, through their
own trusted representatives, would hire them. That's going to take money.

The money will *not* be provided by the FA/DP organization. Period.
That would create an opening for corruption, it would *attract*
corruption. FA/DP organizations are designed to avoid major
collections of direct power. They will function best for this if
proxy assignments take place on a *small scale,* such that,
routinely, proxy and client can directly communicate. That is not
difficult to manage, I suspect, by the development of expectations of
*service.* I.e. I want my proxy to accept my phone calls! (And I may
decline, as a client, someone who won't talk with me. I may shove
them off to another of my clients who might be willing to handle this
person, and if there is nobody such, *I don't need the client.* For anything.)

A client who will not respond to my advice is *useless*. I suppose
that they might send me money....

>re: "(In a multiparty democracy, the different parties are
>      supposed to check one another, and in a coalition system,
>      the opposition is supposed to check the position, where
>      the respective coalitions may change from time to time,
>      again lessening the chance that corruption can set in.)
>
>Does it actually work this way in practice?

To a degree, yes. Don't mistake anecdotal failure with complete failure.

>   I have no experience with multiparty democracy, and cannot make
> an informed comment on the practice.  However, systems based on the
> organized pursuit of power seem (to me) susceptible to corruption.

Of course. And since we are talking about the collective power, the
power of the *entire society* there is power present. FA/DP, as set
up within a generally democratic society, can supervise the
executives, who are, by definition, those who "execute," i.e., who
exercise power. The FA/DP organization itself takes no position on
any controversial issue, that's *essential* to its function, because
the goal is, within it, full participation of *all interested*, no
matter what their personal position on an issue. FA/DP organizations
make no decision on what are called "outside issues" by vote, and
routinely, they make internal decisions -- about their own process --
by supermajority, majority vote being only an emergency fallback.

However, a *political* FA will indeed set up discussions of political
issues, on various scales. I think that it is likely to avoid massive
discussions with *many* participants, because this generates noise.
Such discussions will exist, though, for sure, but they will not be
the meat and potatoes of FA/DP process. Rather, there will be a
central discussion process, where direct participation, the right to
"enter motions" and to debate them, is restricted to those who
represent many, as determined, ad-hoc, by the proxy structure. That
central discussion process *might* involve participants elected by
Asset Voting, if we want to set a specific size for it. "Voting,"
however, except on internal Assembly process, what are called
Questions of Privilege, could be *completely open* to all members.

(This is a general realization, that the problem of scale in
democracy is about deliberation, not about voting, per se. We assume
that voters should participate in deliberation, that's why, often,
proxy voting is not allowed. However, this is based on a
misunderstanding of proxy voting as being "remote voting." I.e,
directed votes. I understand proxy voting in an FA/DP concept, as
well as in other contexts, as "delegated voting." Where the delegate
is *trusted* to decide, in context, based on participation in
deliberation, *without instructions.* And the proxy only votes,
strictly, for himself or herself. The proxy cannot, as I imagine the
situation, cast so many votes Yes and so many votes No, attributing
those votes to clients.

(If fractional votes are allowed, that is entirely a separate issue.
The proxy is responsible for *all the votes the proxy casts.*)

(That distinction is essential for the system to build and concentrate trust.)

>re: "Perhaps a bicameral approach could work. Use a general
>      election for one of the houses and the hybrid method for
>      the other. Or for that matter, use your triad method
>      (with declared "parties" as we've discussed) for one
>      and the hybrid for the other."
>
>This may be a superior suggestion, but it's not my place to make
>that decision because the method I outlined has never been subjected
>to the kind of analytical scrutiny necessary to validate
>it.  Suffice it to say the method must allow the dynamic formation
>of parties so we can be sure fresh perspectives on the conduct of
>society are considered.  At the same time, the method must guarantee
>that the parties cannot commandeer the process.  That's best done by
>ensuring that non-partisans have a voice.

What I saw was that most engaged in developing utopian solutions did
not have any concept of how to get there. Essentially, a public
process is being proposed for something that hasn't been used
*anywhere*, ever. Or if it was used, somewhere, there is no broad
experience with it.

Hence my suggestion that advanced systems for democracy be first
tested and used in voluntary organizations. If the theory is
accurate, these organizations will experience enhanced success. My
sense is that any open political party, for example, that implements
Asset Voting for its own governance, with decent rules that would
encourage wide participation, will do nothing but grow. And it will
then be imitated.

What is truly nifty about FA/DP organizations is that, because they
do not concentrate power, other than possibly the power to
collectively advise (collective advice can be *complicated*, i.e,
half of it could be *this way* and half could be *that*), they can
readily merge. It's almost trivial to combine two FA/DP
organizations, or, alternatively, to set up connecting structures.

By the same token, they are protected from corruption, overall, by
their ability to fission easily. If a proxy doesn't like something
that the *whole organization* is deciding to do, they can simply form
their own damn organization. They already have the structure to do
it. Unless they are isolated, in which they can still do it. And it
will work or not.

In Alcoholics Anonymous, my general inspiration for Free Association
structure, the saying is, "All you need to start a meeting is a
resentment and a coffee pot." And that's really so. And as a result,
AA meetings multiplied like rabbits, making them more and more
available to people, and less and less subject to individual
domination. AA *harnessed* resentment. But, then, the rest of the AA
traditions suggested that all these meetings could cooperate for
common purpose, and they did. The basic thing that they did was to
organize local intergroups that maintain meeting lists. Sometimes
they worked together to create an independent organization, as with
treatment centers and clubhouses. Those are *not* funded by AA. Quite
the reverse!

>re: "I'm imagining the election method for the hybrid to be
>      proportional, also, so that if 10 of the 500 think that
>      advocates for position X should be on the legislature,
>      then 3 (same proportion) will, assuming they vote according
>      to that opinion."

That may happen, but that would reflect undeliberated opinion. What
happens if there is a thorough deliberation process? This idea also
thinks of people as "advocates" for a postion, rather than as
representative participants in a process that generates positions and
makes decision.

The concept is common. The entire concept of "proportional
representation" is based on this assumption, usually based on
political party. An Asset Assembly might not consider, for election,
party affiliation at all. Rather an Asset Assembly is designed to
maximize "trusted representation," which, quite simply, may
*resemble* issue representation but which is actually that.

In full deliberative process, it would be important that every
substantial position be *expressed* in the process. Proportional
representation of that position is *not* necessary. The concept
thinks of the representatives as having fixed positions, which is
actually inimical to deliberative democracy. In theory, decisions are
made *after* there has been adequate debate or discussion. That's
*essential*. It is not deliberative democracy if voting is based on a
priori positions, it is mere aggregation.

Aggregation without deliberation is part of our own survival
mechanism, to be exercised in an emergency. Tiger is after you, and
you come to two paths. You make an immediate choice, based on a kind
of internal range voting, and if you fail to choose quickly, tiger
eats you. We are fairly good at making choices like this, we are
obviously designed for it. But the design does not allow deeper
decision-making, and we have learned to employ much more complex
processes when there is time.

In my training, it's the lizard brain, the amygdala, and the cerebral
cortex. The cortex assists the lizard brain, sometimes, but only
primitively, by comparison with what is possible when the lizard is
quieted and reflection and connection with what is called the "higher
self" awakens. The higher self is what Alcoholics Anonmous calls the
"group conscience," and a measure of it is the degree of consensus.

Basically, when the conditions allow it, two or three or more can be
*much* smarter than any individual.

And this is precisely why the historical trend, accelerating over the
past few centuries, has been toward democracy and away from tight
oligarchy or dictatorship. The latter, especially, unless the
dictator is wise and sets up advisory process *and listens to it*,
can be *very foolish.*

But if the democracy that is set up is purely aggregative, it can be
even stupider than a single dictator. It becomes mob rule, and we
have seen, again and again, that mob rule degenerates back to
dictatorship, not full democracy.

>I'm not clear on this point.  By proportional, do you mean the
>number of random choices will be proportional to party size?  That
>is, if party 'A' is 23% of the electorate, 23% of the total
>candidates selected will be chosen, at random, from party 'A'?  If
>so, may I suggest that non-partisans be treated in the same way?  If
>57% of the electorate is non-partisan, 57% of the candidates are
>chosen, at random, from the non-partisans?  (I will avoid
>consideration of the treatment of advocates of a particular position
>until I have a clearer understanding of your idea.)

It wasn't my expression, but, let's say, that if we attempt to create
such an assembly that rigidly follows such a pattern, it will fail to
realize a much more significant goal, full representation.

>re: "A system can be pushed more towards "not alienating those
>      further away" by increasing the threshold for action (e.g.
>      supermajority rule), and that's what I noticed."
>
>At the risk of diverting attention from the critical issues we are
>discussing, I'd like to suggest that, instead of using a
>supermajority rule, we consider the sunsetting of legislation, that
>is, varying a law's life depending on the percentage of legislators
>supporting the law, with all laws subject to repeal at any time by a
>simple majority. Perhaps, something like:
>
>     Approval Rate      Term of Legislation
>     -------------      -------------------
>     Less than 52%      law expires in one year
>     52% to 60%         law expires in two years
>     60% to 75%         law expires in five years
>     75% to 90%         law expires in ten years
>     over 90%           no automatic expiration
>
>These terms are, of course, only for illustration.  The actual terms
>should be determined by study.  Given the harm done by bad
>legislation, this might be a topic worthy of thought and discussion.
>
>Fred Gohlke
>
>[1] Beyond Adversary Democracy, Jane J. Mansbridge, The University
>of Chicago Press, 1980.

When we don't understand the *basic issue*, we create all kinds of
Rube Goldberg devices to limit the freedom of the people. The device
Fred suggests could indeed be done. Notice, though, that the majority
would be disempowering itself. Is that likely?

Sunset laws are possible. If the majority wants them, fine. But what
is more sensible to me is individual sunset provisions in specific
laws that then generate broader consensus for the law. That allows a
voting member to essentially say, "Okay, we can try this for a year,"
or whatever time is incorporated.

Laws often create constituencies, making it difficult to change later.

I see the central task as being creating and maintaining an Assembly
as *fully representative* of all who care to be represented. Asset
Voting allows *total freedom* on the part of the voter to choose
their representative, from a very broad set. Their vote will *count*,
every vote, as long as they cast it for someone who doesn't just
throw it away. And that makes the *voter* responsible for the choice made.

And how do we get there? Do we attempt to decide specific rules for
the Assembly, and promote an initiative to implement it?

I don't think so. As a first step, this is likely a total waste of
time as to any public elections.

Rather, we can set up Asset Voting to create such representative
bodies in nonprofit or other voluntary organizations. Very easy to
do, actually.

It's been done, once, to my knowledge. It worked. However, there were
expectations of the body elected that were not met. Basically, it was
a steering committee, not a working committee. It represented the
unified trust of the members, not their activity. It was there, in my
view, to approve of proposals, on behalf of the entire interested
membership. No proposals were presented. So it did nothing.

TANSTAAFL.

Ultimately, other members put together a board-centered organization
and selected members of the board from among themselves. This is an
old pattern, it is quite how FairVote was started. There are some
members of the organization, including a Board member, who want to
set up an FA/DP advisory structure, and that may happen. I'm largely
involved elsewhere, but I'd certainly support such.

Nobody can stop an FA/DP organization from being formed if there are
at least two people interested in doing it. If there is only one who
is williing to invest the time, *it is likely to go nowhere.* And, in
spite of the structure being rigorously nonpartisan, *it will likely
be attacked.*

Nevertheless, I see it as possible to set up FA/DP organizations even
under conditions of very limited democracy, as in China. The key
would be to very carefully avoid any attack on the existing
oligarchy, to, indeed, organize to *support* it, in accord with
declared public policy.

But the medium is the message. The FA/DP structure, once created,
makes collective consciousness possible on a large scale. And that is
truly revolutionary. Without attacking anyone, without defining
anyone as the enemy.

The revolution in Iran was largely made possible by the development
of a collective consciousness. But the people were naive, not aware
of the risk of the process being corrupted. As soon as power devolved
into the hands of individuals, as it normally will, that revolution
was massively corrupted. From this and many other experiences, FA/DP
organizations should be very wary of *success.* The temptation is
always to take power, and to use it "for the public welfare," and,
then, to define those who might disagree as "against the public."