[EM] Sociological issues of elections

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Wed Sep 4 05:31:30 PDT 2013

Vidar Wahlberg said:
> ... I would like to see a system where electors are encouraged to
> gain insight and reflected views, and vote thereafter.

Me too.  I spend much of my time chasing such a system (as do Abd and
Fred, I believe).  Please share what you find.

> ... Giving the electors balanced information and maintaining a
> transparent government is desirable, but this also depends on media
> and influental people "playing by the book". ...

They won't do that, of course, not when it would harm their interests.
Either we must change their interests or neutralize their influence.
One way to neutralize their influence would be to enable the electors
to listen instead to each other.  After all, they together are the
experts in the business of electing; the ones who do it every time;
and the best source of information on the subject.  Normally experts
are confident in their work and not easily influenced by non-experts.

To be sure, the crucial word is "together".  Elections are aggregates
not isolates.  The formal aggregate of votes is supposed to correspond
to an actual aggregate of voters in the social world, but it does not.
The individual votes are brought together to make a result, but the
individual voters are not brought together as such to make a decision;
therefore no valid decision can be extracted from the result.

The wrongful influence you mention in your original post might be just
a manifestation of this basic invalidity.  Suppressing, or disabling,
or failing to encourage valid influence (elector on elector) can only
help to encourage invalid influence to "pop up" in its place, as
though into a vacuum.  Do you follow my reasoning?

Mike