[EM] Proportional Representation in CIVS

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sun Oct 20 15:36:52 PDT 2013

On 10/19/2013 06:09 AM, Kudu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The Condorcet Internet Voting Service (CIVS) features a proportional
> representation mode
> (http://www.cs.cornell.edu/w8/~andru/civs/proportional.html). How would
> this stack up against other methods such as CPO-STV, Schulze-STV or
> Schulze PR?

I don't think the CIVS method has been subjected to as much theoretical
scrutiny as the other methods, so I don't really know. If you want to go
with something that in most cases will work nicely, CIVS will probably
do the job. From a cursory glance, it seems to pass the Droop
Proportionality criterion (but don't quote me on that).

On the other hand, if you need exact mathematical proofs, Schulze STV is
probably the most detailed one in that respect. In addition, it was
designed to resist vote management, and I don't know of any other
Condorcet STV methods that were such designed.