[EM] IA/MPO

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Tue Oct 8 14:59:30 PDT 2013

Kevin,

I'm afraid that IA/MPO does fail Plurality:

33 A
17:A=C
17:B=C
33 B

The IA/MPO ratio for both A and B is 50/50 = 1, while the ratio for C is
34/33, which is greater than 1.

But this is about the worst violation posssible, and it doesn't seem too
bad to me.

If equal top ranking were not allowed, then Plurality would not be
violated.  Or (in other words) the method satisfies a weaker version of
Plurality that says if C is ranked on fewer ballots than X is ranked top
but not equal to) C, then C cannot win.

I don't know if that is helpful.

When i get more time, I'll show you why I think that IA/MPO is a good
method when the true preferences are given by something like

30 A
3  A>C
15 C>A
4 C
15 C>B
3 B>C
30 B

All of our favorite methods, including IA/MPO, say that C should win.

But disinformation when A and B are the two big party candidates, may
easily result in voted ballots of

30 A
3  A>C
15 C=A
4 C
15 C=B
3 B>C
30 B

Candidate C still wins under IA/MPO, even though this is a violation of
Plurality.

Message: 1