[EM] Clarification re: Disregard Equal Defeats

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 20:04:34 PST 2013

 When I spoke of an RP equal-defeats solution that I called Disregard
Equal Defeats, I spoke of it only in regards a particular example. I
should say, more generally, what  I mean by Disregard Equal Defeats:

It's one of several ways of dealing with equal defeats in RP.

Say that two or more defeats are both in the same cycle which consists
only of them and some stronger defeats that are kept.

With those several defeats contradicting stronger defeats, by being in
a cycle with them, Disregard-Equal-Defeats (DED) throws them out, just
as RP always  would do for any one defeat that contradicts stronger
kept defeats.

In other words, DED RP literally carries out RP, and avoids need for
randomness, unless it's to choose among several winners

When DED RP does that, it loses some criterion-compliances that MAM has.

I only suggst DED RP for when it's desired to have a deterministic
result, even if it's a tie, and when that's more important than the
MAM criteria that DED loses.

The desirability of that probably depends on the vote being an
informational poll, as opposed to a vote whose choice is to be acted
on, such as the election of an organizaion officer, or otherwise
choosing one alterntive from several, when it's only possible to
choose one.

Michael Ossipoff