[EM] Sociological issues of elections

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Fri Nov 1 08:00:15 PDT 2013

Good Morning, Mike

I've spent some time with your comparative design table.  You've
undertaken a massive task.  I don't feel competent to comment except to
say that, if your work reveals common threads which can someday be
unified to form a solid ground-up structure, it will be rewarding.

re: "A modern democracy cannot stand without a legitimizing
      public.  The only reason it continues to stand (in this
      view) is because the parties are propping it up by acting
      as surrogates for the public and we (mostly) pretend not
      to notice."

Although I would state it differently, this is essentially true.  The
parties have arrogated to themselves the right to act as surrogates for
the public and we pretend not to notice because we don't know how to
retrieve our right to govern ourselves.

Fred Gohlke