[EM] wrt Fobes

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Wed May 29 23:43:28 PDT 2013

On 5/29/2013 3:24 PM, David L Wetzell wrote:
 > My agenda is to defend iRV for single-winner gener'l elections and
 > redirect energy to complenting such with American forms of Proportional
 > Represetnation that similarly won't so much challenge the US's 2-party
 > dominated system but keep it from tilting to one-party domination and
 > make it work a lot better, as I belive would be inevitable if the
 > proliferation of LTPs were incentivized by the use of Am forms of PR
 > that make it easy for a small, local third party to win represetnation.

Interesting.  You/David seem to be focused on the balance of power
between left versus right, whereas I'm focused on the balance of power
between voters ("up") versus special interests ("down").

In my book I promote ways for U.S. elections to produce more
proportional results, but I'm sure the approach is unlike whatever you
have in mind, which I presume is STV.

If your perspective is shared by the Green party, that could explain why
the Green party says they promote the use of IRV, yet they do not use it
for their own primary elections.

I think that one of the best ways to promote election reform (of any/all
types) is for a third party to adopt any method -- even IRV -- for their
primary elections because that would force state election organizations
to accommodate it on the ballot.  Or if a state's election rules do not
allow it, then that party would do well to offer a candidate for
Secretary of State (or whichever office handles election issues) and
highlight the issue in the voter's pamphlet.

More realistically I expect election-method reform to come to the United
States after it has occurred in other nations, which is the same pattern
that occurred for women getting the right to vote.

Richard Fobes