[EM] Approval Voting

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Tue May 7 11:05:18 PDT 2013

As with many such scenarios I've seen, it assumes an electorate that
is firmly attached to one or the other major party, and then, in this
case, it assumes a third candidate who has supporters similarly attached.

Any idea how preposterous this is in an established two-party system?
Then, Kristofer again assumes rigid partisan voting, while the
election method (Approval) sets up the possibility of different
voting styles, and if free entry of candidates to this election --
implied by the setup -- is allowed, again, there is rigid voting.

But the majority of voters in the U.S., anyway, quite simply, don't
vote that way, and a third party isn't going to arise unless it
vote-splits with an existing major party. And those who would be
split with plurality would easily vote for both the new candidate and
the existing one.

Emotional weight is added to the argument by calling the new
candidate(s) Hated. But in the circumstances described, it would be
*easier* -- slightly -- to ascribe that to the D and the R.

So what is set up is a situation where there are three rigid
factions, and they hate each other. But we then give this a spin by
*claiming* that the D and the R don't hate each other as much as they
hate H. Yeah, but in a situation like this, obviously, Approval isn't
expressive enough. Approval is a Range method, but with the minimum
expressive range.

Bucklin, Instant Runoff Approval, could handle this pretty well. And
if the Ds and Rs hold out, each trying to win, yes, H could win with
a plurality method, *and as described, Approval is a plurality
method.* That is, it elects with a plurality.

I hope that Kristofer is aware that the U.S. President is never
elected with a plurality of electoral votes, this only could happen
in a direct election by plurality.

IRV would handle this situation, because of it's LNH satisfaction,
but there are much better ways without the IRV pathologies. (Which
don't bite in this situation, this is one where IRV works.)

To keep the original intention of the U.S. Presidential system, I'd
suggest Asset, vote for one -- or FAAV, which is Asset with any
overvotes fractionated to keep it one total vote per voter, since all
the votes will remain active.

Then a majority of electoral votes can be required, as with the
original intention. The electoral college without districts, and
defined by candidate votes directly, instead of indirectly.

If a runoff method is to be used -- which many countries do -- then
I'd use Bucklin for both elections (or a range hybrid). With Bucklin
in the runoff, it can be top 3. Any election with leading candidates
so equally balanced is only resolved based on that data, at
substantial risk of making a poor decision.

A more sophisticated ballot than Approval is needed, unless the
election is a series of approval runoffs, with only one eliminated at
a time. We aren't going to do that.