[EM] Approval Voting

Jonathan Denn info at aGREATER.US
Mon May 6 14:08:05 PDT 2013

Plurality voting without the Electoral College

In a three way race for POTUS. Let's say we have the traditional D and R. A fringe third party candidate runs and is widely hated (H) by everyone except his/her supporters. But the final results are

H 34%
D 33%
R 33%

Now the hated candidate is leader of the free world.

In Approval Voting, I think it unlikely in this hyper-partisan country that many voters will vote for D & R, and not H. So the results might very well be the same.

Is this a legit flaw for Approval? It seems quite plausible to me.

Jon Denn