[EM] Parliamentary compromising strategy

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Tue Mar 12 10:27:16 PDT 2013

Hi Kristofer,

I think the "liquid democracy" solution can be salvaged by moving it
into an open primary.

> I suppose the problem is that the coalition makeup is set up after
> the election rather than during it. So the voting method has no idea
> about how power is distributed and arranged after the election. ...

I agree, it's an information problem.

> That leaves the second option, which sounds more like a form of
> proxy voting or liquid democracy. Besides the problems with
> vote-buying [1], there's also the instability. ...

Instead of a continuous election, what about a continuous primary?
Being continuous, the results are still informed by daily events in
the assembly.  But being a primary, there's no direct feedback to
cause instability.  Instead, elections are held at long intervals as
usual, and this is where the primary kicks in.  It's an open primary,
so it produces a single candidate list that cuts across all parties.
Any party may adopt this all-party list as its own.  This is political
suicide, of course, but it also wins votes.  The party surrenders its
power over the elected members, who now owe their seats entirely to
the open primary, and not to any party.  Electors and candidates will
be happy to support this arrangement.  It dissolves the power blocs
and frees the assembly to focus on its legislative functions. [2]

The power structure is nominated in a separate, executive primary [3].
The assembly gives its confidence to the nominated government, or not,
and this information feeds back to both primaries (executive and
assembly).  The more of the assembly members who are elected in this
fashion, the more the assembly is apt to take guidance from primary
sources in all matters, even legislation.  But the guidance is always
discretionary, so there's time for talk and adjustment on both sides.

Would it work?  It's extra-constitutional and purely informative.  It
fits with the principles of "technical" parties like the Pirate Party
and the Partido de Internet, who are probably well equipped to get it
started [4].  I CC these two.

 [1] Coercion and vote-buying can be mitigated by continuous voting,
     full disclosure and separation of primary and decision systems.
     See: http://zelea.com/project/votorola/d/theory.xht#fn-2

 [2] Some diagrams here, but they're not fully described yet.
     http://zelea.com/w/Stuff:Votorola/p/assembly_election/multi-winner
     These "parties" are nothing but competing technical facilities
     for primary voting, interconnected by vote mirroring.  They're
     clothed as parties only so they can function where parties are
     baked into the constitution.  Elsewhere it's much simpler:
     http://zelea.com/w/Stuff:Votorola/p/assembly_election/single-winner
     Vote mirroring (though not shown) is still needed here in order
     to keep the primary open, despite technical competition.

 [3] The executive primary nominates the prime minister, ministers and
     all appointees.  It's done with a single vote per elector.  I'll
     post a diagram soon.  It's another continuous primary.  Aside
     from the stabilizing effect of a separate decision mechanism (the
     assembly alone decides the executive), if the appointments reach
     close enough to the electors, then the primary itself is likely
     to benefit from a stabilizing effect.  People won't quickly shift
     their votes from local appointees who are doing a good job.  But
     these local appointees are the base delegates in the primary, and
     also have a communication function (a feature of this voting
     mechanism that Abd often mentions), both of which may be expected
     to lend stability to the rest of the power structure.

 [4] At least for multi-winner elections.  Single-winner don't require
     all the party clothing.  The technical parties are weak in places
     like Britain and the US, anyway.  I couldn't even find a mailing
     list in English.

--
Michael Allan

Toronto, +1 416-699-9528