[EM] VoteFair representation ranking

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Fri Mar 1 00:08:58 PST 2013

Peter Zbornik ~

Here are answers to your questions (which are copied below).

In VoteFair representation ranking, the winner of position # 1 is
identified using VoteFair _popularity_ ranking, which is equivalent to
the Condorcet-Kemeny method.  That single-seat algorithm is explained in
Wikipedia.

Chapter 15 of "Ending the Hidden Unfairness in U.S. Elections" explains
(step-by-step) how VoteFair _representation_ ranking identifies the
winner of the seat in position # 2.  The explanation includes a specific
example.  Here is a link to a PDF file that contains just that chapter:

     http://www.solutionscreative.com/downloads/EHU_RepRankingOnly.pdf

The example in that chapter is presented graphically.  Below are the
same ballot preferences expressed using a more familiar syntax (for this
forum).  There are 100 ballots, and each group of 10 ballots have the
same ranking.

A=Aletha, E=Elliot, M=Meridith, R=Roland, S=Seldon, W=Walter

S, E, M, W, R, A x10
S, E, M, W, A, R x10
S, E, W, M, A, R x10
S, M, W, E, R, A x10
S, M, E, A, W, R x10
S, M, E, W, R, A x10
S, M, E, W, A, R x10
A, W, R, S, M, E x10
R, A, W, M, S, E x10
R, W, A, M, E, S x10

In this example S (Seldon) wins position # 1, and W (Walter) wins
position # 2.

Notice that W would not win the second position if overall popularity
were being calculated.  (That would be M or E, depending on the method
used.)

Also note that -- unlike STV (and IRV) -- the calculations do not look
at just the currently-considered top-ranked candidate.  Instead, the
calculations look "deep" into the ballot ("looking" all the way to the
bottom of each ballot if necessary).

In conventional terms, S is the most popular "majority" candidate, and W
is the most popular "opposition" candidate.

Expressed another way, W is not the second-most "popular" among all the
voters.  Instead, W is the most popular among the voters who are not
well-represented by the first-position winner (S).

Additional consideration is given to the "majority" voters if they
amount to more than just 51% (or so).  For example, if a majority of 70%
of the voters have the same preferences, their secondary preferences are
"squeezed" into 20% (the amount beyond 50%) when they are combined with
the remaining not-yet-represented 30% of the voters.

The supplied chapter explains yet another consideration that ensures
that the majority cannot rank a variety of minor (unpopular) candidates
at the top of their ballot to make it look like they are unrepresented
by the first-position winner.

The details are explained, step by step, in the supplied PDF-format chapter.

One organization that uses VoteFair ranking to elect its officials has
two locations for its members.  VoteFair representation nicely ensures
that neither location outvotes the other location.  So far the results
I've seen give the same results for both VoteFair popularity ranking and
VoteFair representation ranking, so their membership is not as divided
as it might otherwise seem.  The organization has been very happy with
the results.  There is a testimonial on the VoteFair site.

More broadly, in the many cases where VoteFair ranking is used, the
winner of position #2 is often the same as the second-most popular
according to VoteFair popularity ranking (equivalent to Condorcet-Kemeny).

Yet I have also seen numerous cases where VoteFair representation
ranking does produce a result that is different (in the second position)
from VoteFair popularity ranking.  Such results reveal a significant
"split" in the voter preferences.  Specifically the method has been
successful in identifying who deserves to win the second-most
representative position when the second-most popular (according to
VoteFair popularity ranking) is not the right choice (because that would
allow the same majority to fill both positions).

Regarding positions # 3 and # 4 and beyond, VoteFair representation
continues the ranking process by repeating the
"majority-versus-opposition" algorithm for each pair of next-most
representative positions.

When I designed it I assumed that in many cases only the top two most
representative candidates would need to be identified.  That's because
other methods can be used to fill other seats.  For example, different
districts can be used to fill other seats in a legislature, and VoteFair
party ranking can fill seats on a PR or PR-like basis (which requires
that party preferences be marked on the ballot).

In your situation the winners are filling an (open) party list, and you
do not know how many party-list seats will be won.  You have said that
you expect that the number might be 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 seats.  For this
purpose VoteFair representation ranking would fill position # 1 with the
overall most popular "majority" candidate, and would fill position # 2
with the overall most popular "opposition" candidate, and would fill
position # 3 with the next-most popular "majority" candidate, and would
fill position # 4 with the next-most popular "opposition" candidate.

The code that implements VoteFair representation ranking is open source
code, so "a complete and exhaustive description of the algorithm" is the
code itself, which is well-commented:

http://github.com/cpsolver/VoteFair-ranking/blob/master/VoteFairRanking.pm

(The code also handles "ties," which is necessary for an "exhaustive
description of the algorithm."  The explanation in the supplied chapter
is also quite complete, although it does not deal with how to handle
"ties.")

Although the code is written in Perl, it uses a subset of Perl that
makes it straightforward to port the code to the "C" language.

(The code just handles numbers because the Vote-Info-Split-Join (VISJ)
software is available to handle text, such as the names of the candidates.)

Getting back to the VoteFair ranking algorithm, if you would like to see
details about the calculations without downloading and running the
software, please supply me with a specific example (in the above format
if there are more than just a few ballots), and I can run the VoteFair
ranking software and have it produce a "log" that I can post here.

In your party-list situation, when you reach the point where
gender-based quotas are no longer likely to displace any of the
candidates who -- without the quota adjustments -- would win positions #
1, # 2, # 3, and # 4, then I can add code (for "VoteFair party-list
ranking") that better calculates the winner of position # 5 and beyond.
  In that case you can think of position # 5 as being filled by a
candidate who represents 20 percent of the voters who are not
well-represented by the winners of the first 4 positions.  That
enhancement would amount to moving a portion of the VoteFair
_negotiation_ ranking code into the VoteFair ranking code that is on
GitHub.  For that purpose it would be necessary to specify a threshold
to determine at what seat/position a minority is large enough to win a
seat/position.

In summary, the result of using VoteFair representation ranking,
combined with shifting the most-popular women into positions # 2 and/or
# 5 if necessary (to meet that quota), would meet your desire for a
method "which allows quoted seats to be proportionally distributed, in
order to avoid that the same voters get all quoted seats."

If the algorithm for VoteFair representation ranking still isn't clear
after reading the supplied chapter (in PDF format), please ask questions.

Thank you for your interest.

Richard Fobes