[EM] "Top 2+1 Approval" primaries

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Wed Jul 24 19:00:35 PDT 2013

Isn't the crucial thing just the design of the open primary?  I mean
if the primary is good enough to flush out the relative strengths of
all candidates (assume this for sake of argument), then the simplest
solution for the general election might also be the stupidest.  It
might be okay at this point to be stupid (in a sense), because the
necessary information was already gained in the smart primary.  The
general election need only contribute a decisive form to that
information, and plurality might even be ideal for this.

Maybe I misunderstand (I'm not an expert on methods).  I wonder what
information a smart general election can provide that a smart open
primary cannot.  I ask because the primaries are extra-constitutional
and relatively easy to improve on the basis of technical merit and
utility, whereas the structure of general elections cannot be changed
except by force (big money, big media, big fight).

--
Michael Allan

Toronto, +1 416-699-9528
http://zelea.com/w/User:Mike-ZeleaCom/in