[EM] Preferential voting system where a candidate may win multiple seats

Vidar Wahlberg canidae at exent.net
Mon Jul 22 06:43:35 PDT 2013

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 04:04:03PM +0300, Juho Laatu wrote:
> Yes, it is possible and even typical that many small parties get their best results in the same district. One simple fix (and one step more complex algorithm) is to allocate full quota seats first and fractional seats only after them. This means that the results can be off only by less than one quota for each party in each region. (Also other more ideal methods can be developed.) I wonder if accuracy of one quota would be sufficient.

I may misunderstand you here, but I'm confused as of what would be the
"fractional seats". Using Sainte-Laguë there's no quota and thus no
fraction.
Is your idea to apportion seats by first using a quota (quota = votes /
seats), then apportion the remaining seats (sequentially giving out
seats to party A, party B, party C, ...) as described earlier in this
thread?
That might produce a sensible result, I'll see if I can modify the code
to do something like this.
Let me know if this is not what you meant.

--
Regards,
Vidar Wahlberg