[EM] Preferential voting system where a candidate may win multiple seats

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at lavabit.com
Thu Jul 18 13:36:09 PDT 2013

On 07/18/2013 08:13 PM, Vidar Wahlberg wrote:

> Thoughts are welcome, and sorry for the amount of mails, I'm having a
> lot of spare time at the moment.

Could you try implementing Balinski's primal-dual method? It's somewhat
explained in the Wikipedia article on biproportional apportionment,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biproportional_apportionment . Olli Salmi
(who used to post to this list) wrote a document about it at
http://www.uusikaupunki.fi/~olsalmi/vaalit/Biproportional_Elections.html .

If we're going to compare different methods, I also think we'd need some
way of measuring the quality or proportionality of the result. The
Sainte-Laguë index can be used in an ordinal manner on both axes, so you
could say "according to the SLI, the nationwide result produced by
algorithm X is more proportional than the one produced by algorithm Y".
However, unlike say, the Gallagher index, it's much harder to say *how
much* more proportional X is than Y, since the index isn't bounded.

In 2011, the department of Mathematics at KTH held a workshop on
electoral methods. One of the talks dealt with biproportional
representation, and the slides can be found here:
http://www.math.kth.se/wem/Zachariasen.pdf . They used the Gallagher
index (which is optimized by quota-obeying methods) and determined that
the Balinski method produced the most proportional results. Though the
Gallagher index is optimized by quota methods, not divisor methods, it
may still be of interest.

(And now that I think about it: if it's desired, it should be possible
to make n-proportional apportionment methods for n>2 -- e.g. a method
that tries to balance regional representation, national representation,
and representation of minorities according to their share of the
population. The greater n is, though, the less intuitive the results
will be.)