[EM] Burlington dumps IRV; Immunity from Majority Complaints (IMC) criterion

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sat Jul 6 10:07:12 PDT 2013

At 08:13 AM 7/5/2013, Jameson Quinn wrote:
>IMC seems to me to be too narrow to be a general criterion, if only
>one custom-built voting system passes it. WIMC is an interesting
>refinement of Condorcet and Smith. But neither belongs on Wikipedia
>without a "reliable" citation.
>
>2013/7/5 <<mailto:seppley at alumni.caltech.edu>seppley at alumni.caltech.edu>
>Should IMC and WIMC be added to Wikipedia?

The obvious first: Many Wikipedia articles violate Wikipedia policy,
it's an issue of what one can get away with. If anyone objects, and
knows how to pursue the process, such articles would quickly be
deleted. No wiki is considered a reliable source, for starters, nor
are mailing lists. Neologisms will generally be rejected even if
there is a single "Reliable Source." But a redirect might be allowed
for a neologism, if it has widespread usage.

Many *existing* articles are vulnerable to deletion.

As to IMC and WIMC, I'm not going to go into detail, but I have many
times indicated that there is a problem with resolving an election
contrary to the wish of a majority. In classical deliberative
process, *no decision is made -- ever! -- without the express consent
of a majority of those voting.* That includes, in the basis for
majority, spoiled ballots, it only excluses *completely blank ballots
with no mark.* "Scrap paper," Robert's Rules calls them. No majority,
election *fails.*

Yet we know that it is possible, with a practically-ideal voting
system (Range), that the optimal choice is not the first preference
of a majority. So ... we can't just assert as some sort of absolute,
the Majority Criterion. Rather, a full resolution of this would
involve another poll. It is possible that if the voting system
indicates a very weak preference on the part of the majority, under
some conditions, it might be possible to complete the election.
Defining those conditions would, however, be relatively complex. It's
more common that there is no majority preference, only a plurality,
and, under those conditions, it is well understood that a normal
solution is a runoff election. So the problem reduces, then, to
making sure that the nominations for that runoff are likely to truly
represent the will of the majority, as might be inferred, i.e., that
they will include a majority preference.

It is commonly assumed that runoffs will have two candidates only.
That's artificial, for sure, and it sets up finding a majority as if
it were, itself, an absolute. A good voting system in the runoff can
handle three candidates, and, remember, a runoff election is a very
different animal than a primary. The voters will be much more informed.

The point about violating the wishes of a majority is clear: it can
easily lead to dumping the voting system and other responses, and the
only way around that would be to *disempower* the majority. Kind of a
Bad Idea in a democracy, eh? Exactly who does this job, who holds the gun?