[EM] Here's an improved version

David L Wetzell wetzelld at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 05:44:34 PDT 2013

I added another candidate, since there are more seats and so it makes sense
to have seven candidates after the 3rd seat, but the first candidate is
also after the 3rd seat and so the right number of candidates is 8.

I looked at both the Hare and D'hondt quotas for a Largest Remainder
approach.
The new predicted 3rd-winner percent for a Hare quota is 6.8%.
The equivalent predicted 3rd-winner percent for a D'hondt quota is 9.8%, a
44% increase.

Also noteworthy is how 3rd parties if they proliferated from the use of
3-seat Hare then they'd likely be the swing voters in important
single-winner elections.  This is why I've always paired IRV with American
forms of PR.  I trust the center the two-biggest parties will be squeezing
will be far more dynamic with so many candidates capable of bringing up new
issues or reframing old wedge issues.
dlw