[EM] EMAV?

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Mon Jul 1 11:14:56 PDT 2013

For some unknown reason, Jameson responded with a new subject header,
instead of to my original EMAV proposal, so I'm copying that at the
end of this post.

At 10:13 PM 6/30/2013, Jameson Quinn wrote:

>Abd proposed Bucklin//Score, which he dubbed "evaluative majority
>approval voting". My first, and still my principal, response was:
>that's not bad, and if you can build were a consensus behind that,
>I'll sign on. I'd still like to see Abd respond to that ( and
>ideally commit to first mentioning a consensus Bucklin proposal once
>per thread before discussing the relative merits between Bucklin
>systems) before engaging with the specific discussion below.

EMAV is Bucklin. As proposed, it's three-rank Bucklin. An additional
rating is added for full utility expression.
Hence, under certain conditions, it is Range. The minimum rating is
the default No, which could be explicit.

Under those conditions, the rating values could be 2, 1, 0, -1, -2.

The ballot is a range ballot. The Bucklin evaluation is median Range
except with ties, which are resolved with the social utility
informoation from the ballots.

>My basic response to EMAV specifically is: Bucklin is good and Score
>is good, so it's not bad, but it's still in some sense the worst of
>both worlds.

It addresses the most significant problem of Range, majority
criterion failure. The method is MC compatible. Yet it collects full
Range data (and with interpolation and the explicit min rating, it
would be a Range 8 ballot, very close to the commonly-proposed Range
9. Range 9 *could* be used. But the interpolation idea -- not
essential -- keeps the ballot simpler.

>  Not as responsive or simple as Score,

I'd disagree. It is more responsive than Jameson's proposal, MAV,
which dumps and does not use the utility information available, if
there is a multiple majority. EMAV decides a multiple majority based
on the utility information. It is *very* easy to understand, and
intuitive understanding is quite likely to be correct. It's Bucklin
(which was easy to understand) and Range (also easy to understand.)

It will collect full Range data; the *basic voting strategy* is to
vote a sincere Range ballot, same as Range, i.e, Range with the usual
"max-rate favorite frontrunner, min-rate worst frontrunner" strategy.
It allows clear distinction of the Favorite from the preferred frontrunner.

(Remember, multiple majorities in first rank will be extraordinarily
rare, we should be so lucky. Anyone concerned about Favorite
Wimpiness (equal ranking is not a betrayal, as such), can easily
defer that additional approval to second or third rank.)

>  not as exaggeration or chicken resistant as most Bucklin methods,
> it's just a compromise that will make nobody really happy.

1. "Exaggeration" is a made-up story. People extreme-rate when they
have strong preference. That preference may be *simple,* such as "I
don't know any other candidates and I don't want to give any voting
strength to an unknown," or "I only vote for Democrats," but it *must
be* a strong preference, or they would care about risk of the second
preference beating the first. They'd be pleased to see the second
preference win. "Exaggeration" is also used to describe *normal
social choice.* I.e., we choose among realistic alternatives, and our
"rating" of them depends on what we see as realistic. It's
"strategic." And voters who vote absolute ratings will mostly be
fooling themselves or disempowering themselves.

2. "Chicken resistant" is also a made-up story based on our
imagination of how a voter faces a strategic choice. There is no
speeding car heading toward us. There are options and assessments of
probabilities. There is no other driver we are competing with. And
it's just one vote. There are simply different methods of determining
the winner if there is a multiple majority. EMAV is practically
identical to MAV except with multiple majorities and the use of range
rather than pure reduction to approval, losing all that utility
information, when majority approval has not appeared. What are the
two alternatives that supposedly create a "dilemma"?

1. Add B as an additional approval to our favorite A. Bucklin and
EMAV allow two lower preference levels for this, which would
rationally correspond to preference strength, with the minimum
preference level indicating approximation to election expectation.
Remember, if there is another candidate, C, whom we fear will win,
our election expectation has gone down, so a mid-rating will be more
appropriate for B than otherwise.
2. Do not add B, risk the election of C. EMAV provides multiple
levels of response to this situation, which are then balanced with
(1). How the voter actually votes will depend on preference strengths
in the three pairs and the election expectation.

>  Bucklin hybrids can work well; Bucklin//Condorcet, for instance,
> is in many ways best of both, though its counting complexity is a
> bit high for me. But if EMAV is better than MAV, then Score is even
> better; while if EMAV is better than Score, then MAV is even better.

The problem, Jameson, is that ordinary Score misses something, called
Majority Approval, a basic element of democracy. It's a complex
issue, and it may, in fact, make little practical difference, in many
elections, but the principle of majority consent to decisions is
quite basic and is a widespread idea; therefore getting Range
implemented, just like that, is likely to be difficult, because MC
failure *will* be asserted as a counter-argument.

EMAV begins collecting Range data, and uses Range evaluation for
median tie-breaking (and plurality resoluttion), so it would break the ice.

I'm going to guess that SU study of this method, with proper
application of voting strategy, would take this down to
*almost-Score* Bayesian Regret. I've also argued that Range should
include an explicit approval cutoff, which this method effectively
incorporates and uses.

As you know, I would greatly prefer to complete with majority
approval, and thus I'd see this method, or Range, used with a runoff
if there is no majority approval shown. Ultimately, if it's a
two-round system intrinsically (the first election is really a
nomination primary), this could be the second round. The first round
would also work, but I'd want to see Condorcet testing, both with
EMAV and MAV, in the first round. Not the second.

original post on EMAV
From: Abd ul-Rahman Lomax
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 10:06:10 -0500