[EM] Resonance

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Sat Jan 19 23:40:43 PST 2013

Michael Ossipoff, you don't seem to take the time to carefully read the
messages posted here.

In this case it appears that you failed to notice my use of the word
"component."

I have a degree in Physics, so I can assure you that I am not the one
who is failing to understand the concept of resonance.  (FYI, Wikipedia
has a great explanation of the topic.)

To all: In politics the resonant frequency can be issue-specific, and
also depends on factors such as the time between elections, how long it
takes to enact and enforce a change, how long it takes to notice
effects, how long it takes for investigative journalism to call
attention to undesired effects, and much more.

In local politics the resonant frequency might be as short as one cycle
per four years (assuming two years between elections and quick changes
with obvious consequences).  In large-scale politics, the frequency can
be as long as one cycle per three generations.  The latter case amounts
to a "period" (one divided by the frequency) of about about 100 years,
which coincides with some boom-and-bust cycles, probably including the
one we are in now.  (Often such cycles involve a "new" generation
forgetting what an earlier generation learned the hard way.)

Getting back to the original concept, term limits would be like building
barriers to limit the swing of a pendulum.  It does limit the swings.
However, putting a "damper" on the pendulum also would reduce
excessively "wild swings."

Making elections fairer would be like putting a damper on politics.  The
momentum that can cause wild swings would be difficult to get started.

Richard Fobes