[EM] Clean Government Alliance

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at lavabit.com
Thu Jan 17 22:49:36 PST 2013

On 01/16/2013 11:31 PM, Richard Fobes wrote:
> On 1/13/2013 10:53 AM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
>> Consider a country that's leaning too far left for the population's
>> wishes. A right-wing candidate is elected. This right-wing president (or
>> PM, through parliament) starts moving to the right. For this, he or she
>> gets approval from the people and starts being considered a good
>> president or PM. Let's say it's "he" and "president". Then he continues
>> moving to the right (because he is right-wing, after all), overshooting
>> the optimum. Because he has gained some reputation for being a good
>> president, the voters continue to support him until he goes very far to
>> the right.
>
> If the country is left-leaning, then the elected leader moving further
> to the right will soon reach a breaking point, in spite of a "good"
> reputation.
>
> Specifically the "left" voters combined with the growing number of
> "moderate right" voters -- who will dislike his "right-wing" shift --
> will have a majority and will vote him out of office.
>
> So I don't see this as an example of term limits being needed.

The point is that the country is centrist. The right-winger is
correcting an excessive leftist policy (in the eyes of the population)
and thus builds up a reputation. The right-wing politician trades on
that reputation when going further right, so he goes beyond the optimum
and then, only when he starts proposing very right-wing policies, is he
replaced.

I was thinking of something a bit like Thatcher in the UK. The "very
right-wing policy" would be something like the poll tax, the proposal of
which ulitmately led to her replacement. However, I was trying to not
get into particulars so that one's own opinion on Thatcher wouldn't
cloud the issue.

The general pattern I was trying to think of, in any case, was this: the
society is too far in one direction (according to the people). Candidate
X has a position solidly on the other side and brings the policies in
that direction. As X pushes policies towards the center, he gains
reputation for doing something well. Then as X goes past the center, the
people think "we'll give him some time; he's been right in the past, why
shouldn't he still know what he's doing?" And so it takes time before
the people recognize how far off the other side X really wants to go.

Term limits mitigate this by forcing a replacement of X with Y (say),
where Y doesn't have this pre-existing reputational wealth, and where
the new election lets the people establish that they're not right-wing,
they're centrists.

I have also been reading about predictor or ensemble systems (like
weighted majority voting). In that context, it's like an expert that
tends to be very right, but situations change and he suddenly stops
being right. It then takes some time for his weight to be reduced,
because he has such a high weight already. In dynamic situations (where
experts may often shift from being very good to not being good at all),
sliding window versions of WMV (or UCB) do better than non-sliding
versions. I can find papers for this if you're interested :-)