[EM] Survey of Multiwinner Methods

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Tue Jan 8 13:47:33 PST 2013

On 1/8/2013 12:24 AM, Greg Nisbet wrote:
> There's some definite motivation for writing the list of criteria to
> exclude parties, districts, and relying on candidates making decisions.
> These sorts of mechanisms are not always available (for instance,
> picking pizza toppings or locations or something of that nature)....

What I call "VoteFair negotiation ranking" is available at:

www.NegotiationTool.com

This calculation method does not consider political parties or districts
or anything other than ranked priorities and incompatibilities.

It goes beyond "VoteFair representation ranking" which is a multi-winner
method that also does not consider districts or parties.  Specifically
the negotiation tool goes beyond the one-dimensional nature of VoteFair
representation ranking so that it handles multi-dimensional issues.

Picking pizza toppings could certainly be handled by the negotiation
tool.  The two demos are for more challenging cases, namely negotiating
hiring terms, and assisting a Parliament in choosing a set of cabinet
members.

(A few days ago I moved the NegotiationTool website to a different
server, and the "contact" form doesn't yet work there yet, but it works
otherwise.)

Richard Fobes