[EM] Election-Methods Digest, Vol 103, Issue 1

Andy Jennings elections at jenningsstory.com
Mon Jan 7 07:29:14 PST 2013

Jonathan,

In addition to Ualabio's argument that cutting down the number of
candidates is good so as not to overwhelm voters, I believe that almost
every voting system ever invented can benefit from winnowing down
candidates that are _too similar_ before the election.  Political parties
seem like the natural steward of this responsibility.

For reforming partisan elections, I promote approval voting in the primary
and approval voting in the general.  Also acceptable would be approval
voting in the general and letting the parties choose their nominees however
they like.

To me, this means that those who vote in one party's primary should be,
generally, of a shared ideology.  They should be the guardians of that
party's label in the general election.  Voters should choose to participate
in the party primary for the ideology they are closest to.  If they feel
divorced from both (or all) parties, then they can refuse to participate in
the primary.  Then they should focus on getting a good independent
candidate to run.  The good news is that with approval voting, independents
will do much better in general elections.

I don't really see a good way for voters to support one person in the
Republican primary and another person in the Democratic primary at the same
time.

~ Andy