[EM] proportional constraints - help needed

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 04:24:05 PST 2013

I think I've figured this out.

Use a quota of 2/11 for normal slots. The quota for quoted slots will be
somewhere between 3/22 and 2/11; thus the remainder will be between 1/11
and 2/11.

When you hit a quoted slot, first see who would win the remaining slots
under normal STV — call that set Ⓐ. Then see who would win it, starting
with current ballot weights, if the ballots only included the correct
gender — call that candidate X. X wins. Ⓑ is the set of candidates in Ⓐ who
would have been elected before X. All ballots that helped X win are
deweighted, using the following test to see what quota to use: If a ballot
voted some member of Ⓑ over X, then that ballot is deweighted using a quota
of 3/22; otherwise, it is deweighted with the normal quota of 2/11. For the
next (non-quoted) slot, any candidates which had been eliminated to elect X
are restored (if they truly deserve elimination, they will soon be
re-eliminated), but all deweightings are of course preserved.

You could probably construct a scenario in which a strategic vote could get
a more-favorable deweighting by raising a less-preferred candidate Y over a
quoted candidate X without making Y win. However, for that to work, Y would
have to be at least a potential non-quoted winner (ie, be in Ⓑ), so such
strategies must be inherently risky¹ to be effective, and therefore I don't
think people would waste time with them.

Jameson

¹If Y comes up in a non-quoted slot, which are 3/5 of the slots, they will
simply win. In that case, a strategic ballot will be unfavorably
deweighted, and the preferred candidate X has almost no chance of winning.
So unless you have impossibly good info on which candidates will be elected
in which slots, the chances of this strategy backfiring are at least 60%.