[EM] proportional constraints - help needed

Peter Zbornik pzbornik at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 02:23:08 PST 2013

Kristofer,

to be more exact:
I need not just proportionality in the ordered list as a whole (i.e.
meaning proportional ranking), but also that seats/candidates are
quoted in proportionally within each gender too.

Proportionality within each gender is not needed, if the constraints are met.

I.e., the guiding principle when constraints are not met and when
deciding upon which seat to apply quotas on should be
i. to quote-in the seat proportionally within the gender, but
ii. without causing an unnecessary "disproportionality" within the
ordered list.

This means for instance, that if we have to decide if we should apply
the constraint (quote-in) at seat 3, 4 or 5
and the proportionality within the gender would be identical in each case,
then the candidate should be quoted-in at seat 5, since seat 5 is
"less important" than seats 3 and 4 and since there is no gain in
proportionality within the gender by quoting in at seat 3 or 4
compared to quoting-in at seat 5.

It is necessary to quantify what "less important" above exactly means,
but I am not sure of how to do it.

P.