[EM] The Green scenario, and IRV in the Green scenario, is a new topic here. Hence these additional comments. Clarification of position and why.

Peter Zbornik pzbornik at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 05:40:11 PST 2013

Being a green party member (although a Czech one and not US), I would
advocate only the top-two-run-off
variant of IRV, i.e. elimination of the candidates and transfer of
votes until two remain, no quota for election (or quota=100%) except
for the case where one candidate has more than 50% of first
preferences.

The top two candidates would meet in a second round in IRV.
A candidate would be elected if he/she would get more than 50% of the votes.

Empty votes would count as  valid votes in both first and second round.

If no candidate would be elected in second round new elections would take place.

The advantages of the proposed election system are
1) the voters are given a chance to concentrate only on two candidates
in the second round, and are thus allowed to change their preferences.
2) blank votes together with IRV might make the candidates less
polarized, as, given a large number of blank votes, the candidate with
the highest number of votes in the second round would have to rely on
the second preferences of the voters for the opposing candidate in
order to get 50%+ votes.

PZ