[EM] MMV and resolvability

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 06:22:05 PST 2013

 Two typos in my immediately-recent posting:

1. I'd said:

I'd been referring to MMV as the Drop-Equal-Defeats (DED) version or
Ranked-Pairs, for when a tied result is acceptable, and the use of
randomization in the count is unacceptable (as could be the case in
some Internet votes).

I meant:

"...version _of_ Ranked-Pairs....".

"of", not "or"

So, it should say:

"I'd been referring to MMV as the Drop-Equal-Defeats (DED) version of
Ranked-Pairs, for when a tied result is acceptable, and the use of
randomization in the count is unacceptable (as could be the case in
some Internet votes).":

2. Toward the end of my posting, here is what I meant to say:

D>A is disqualified because it contradicts a set of kept stronger defeats.

(In my posting, I'd left out the word "kept")

I like MMV, as I interpret it. Especially when mid-vote randomization
is unavailable or unaccptable, and a tied outcome is acceptable.

I can't say for sure whether MMV or MAM is better for voting when
mid-vote randomization is available and accepable, and when tied
outcomes aren't acceptable.

I emphasize that I regard Ranked-Pairs (in the MAM or MMV versions) as
the ideal majoritrarian voting-systems, _to be recommended for ideal
majoritarian conditions_, which seem to obtain in polls. But, due to
chicken-dilemma, resulting from intense rivalry among similar parties
and factions, I wouldn't count on ideal majoritarian conditions in
official public political elections in the U.S.

Michael Ossipoff

: