[EM] Current SODA not monotonic; fixable. (mono-voter-raise)

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Fri Apr 19 11:24:08 PDT 2013

On 4/19/2013 11:09 AM, Jameson Quinn wrote:
> So, what do people think? Should I change the default definition of SODA
> to make it have better compliances? Or should I keep it the way it is
> because the change would never matter in practical terms and would only
> make the system sound more complex?

Join the club.  Each of us favors a method that fails some criterion or
another.

I think the best fix is to identify how often each failed criterion
occurs.  Probably as a percentage, or a percentage range.

Of course that's difficult to do.  Yet it will be more meaningful than
just having a yes-or-no checkbox for each criterion.

Keep in mind that if you create a variation of SODA, that amounts to
creating a new method, which probably requires a new name (or a
qualification added to the SODA name).

Of course this reply doesn't directly answer your question.

The best solutions are not necessarily easy, but usually they are simple.

Richard Fobes