[EM] Helping the Pirate Party to vanish

Alexander Praetorius citizen at serapath.de
Fri Apr 19 00:13:48 PDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 2:42 AM, Michael Allan <mike at zelea.com> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> First I summarize some points.
>
>   (a) Candidate-wise, the open list primary is also open to party
>       candidates, not just to non-party candidates.  So Union, SPD and
>       Pirate candidates may receive primary votes of support, too.
>       http://zelea.com/w/Stuff:Votorola/p/assembly_election/multi-winner
>
>       Same for the open executive primary.  It is open to the current
>       party leaders.  So maybe Cx here is the Union's Merkel, and Dx
>       the SPD's Steinbrück:
>       http://zelea.com/w/Stuff:Votorola/p/power_structuring#SN
>
>   (b) Voter-wise, both open primaries are open to party members, too.
>       Any German elector may vote in the open primaries, with or
>       without having joined a party.
>
>   (c) The open primaries are continuous, running year in and year out
>       in advance of the upcoming election (say 2017).  The purpose of
>       the list primary is to agree on all the members who will sit in
>       the Bundestag after that election.
>       http://zelea.com/w/Stuff:Votorola/p/assembly_election/multi-winner#E
>
>       So that diagram is incomplete.  The lists should show additional
>       candidates above A, below I, and maybe in between.  Those
>       candidates (not shown) are elected to the 11 greyed-out seats by
>       electors who vote for the Union, SPD, Pirate Party, and so
>       forth.  But note that those party supporters could just as
>       easily have voted for one of the open parties.  The results
>       would have been more-or-less the *same* regardless.
>
>       This is the crucial point.  It follows from (a) and (b), as I
>       explain further below.  It doesn't matter how many people vote
>       for open parties vs closed parties on election day; the open
>       party list is elected regardless.
>
>   (d) No political party hosts an open electoral primary (neither a
>       list primary nor an executive).  All primaries hosted by parties
>       are closed primaries, including those of the Pirate Party.
>       Points (a-c) do not apply to those primaries.
>
> > Yes, that's technically a nice approach [open primaries]. Other
> > parties could join this system if they "drop" their candidate lists
> > and instead use the open list, right?
>
> Yes.  They must also accept the current leader of the open executive
> primary as the formal party leader.  So if any one of them wins a
> plurality of seats, then the President (I guess it's he) will invite
> that leader to be Chancellor.
>
> > ... But although i can see it working technically, i fail to see how
> > this will become a reality, because no matter if there are 1, 2 or
> > 10 or even more "open parties" on the ballot on election day, nobody
> > would vote for them.
>
> An elector who participates in the open primaries will probably want
> to vote for an open party.  The elector need not participate in the
> primaries, of course, but open primaries are more meaningful and
> interesting (c and d) than closed primaries.

Yes, but WHY should anyone become an elector who participates in the open
primaries in the first place?
Maybe a handful of people will do it because for ideologic reasons, but
even if its 10 or 20 people, it might probably stay a somehow "sandboxed
island".
How does this get started? I doubt there will be people out of nowhere
using the tools, it will be those people who are already motivated to use
such tools an crave to adobt new and better tools, but wont leave their
current communities, because they have already built relationships and have
put a lot of effort into communities current results and structures.
They will never leave all this only to adopt a new toolset. The toolset has
to come to them.

> > In germany, you normally have a dozen or several dozen of electable
> > parties on the ballot on election day, but most people will never
> > vote for anything else than what they already know.  The first time
> > the pirates were electable, many people laughed when they read the
> > ballot and for the first time in their life learned about the pirate
> > party ;-) personell had to remind them, that they please be quit and
> > not comment on any parties :D
>
> But it no longer matters what party the elector votes for (open or
> not).  The election results are more-or-less the same regardless (c).

It matters.
Because if parties who are committed to inject the results of the open
primaries into the legislative process get many votes, that will people
motivate to continue to use the open primary tooling, because there is hope
that all the effort will have real effects.
The open primaries will be meaningless and a waste of time if there is not
at least hope, that a movement will grow to put the results into the real
legislative process.

> (e) The mass media will inform people of this strange news.  People
> will want to know what it means.  Journalists will explain: "The
> parties are dying."

No, i dont think so.
They only started to cover pirates, when they had a lot of voters voting
for them. Currently they dont cover pirate stuff at all.
The media covers those things which have impact to some degree and impact
means, a lot of people are affected by something.
So if you have open primaries and two open paper parties, that means, its
still a lifeless construct.
Media will not cover it. Media will not waste time on it i believe.
If a huge party or several small communities (that maybe be in sum
considered to be huge) adopt this kind of toolset and many many people
start using it, then eventually the media will start to cover it sometimes
and look into this phenomenon.

You already assume people using it and usage grows and everything else
follows from that, but i dont see how people will start to use it in the
first place. Whats the strategy?
You say, there should be at least two open primary toolsets collaborating
and implementing vote mirroring and then there will be two open paper
parties.... ....but i fail to see the strategy how people will start using
it.

I think the only way to accomplish this is to choose an existing community
with a need for better tooling and cater to their needs, so that they
eventually adopt the tooling. Then this has to be done with several
communities and the technology behind the tooling will help to bring those
different communities together in an open primary system. They dont have to
understand this right from the start. They might find out later.

Which communities are those one should focus on because of limited
resources? I dont know. I'd say the pirates are promising, but there might
be many other candidates.

> > yes, i understand the technical approach and i like it very much.
> > What i still fail to see is how people will start using the tools.
> > I have a feeling that they wont. In order to have real users using
> > the tools and spreading the word, the usability has to be very very
> > good and people should be able to re-use knowledge they got from
> > their previously used tools (e.g. wiki, facebook, email,
> > mailinglists, forum, twitter, etc...) ...
>
> A tool developer likes to see unfinished tools, especially tools with
> high potential impact.  So this is no serious obstacle.  If it's only
> developers using the primary toolsets at first, then no problem.  They
> will get it ready for others ASAP.

Developers are not politicians. They will never really use their tools and
spent a massive amount of time on discussing issues.
Their thinking is different. They only have one vote and spending time in
the process is a waste of time. Its better to improve the tooling so that
"thing will solve" itself.
I think the major problem in order to advance is, that votorola based
tooling doesnt exist or at least doesnt cater to the needs of real
communities. It doesnt matter which communities to start with, but one has
to target specific communities and develop tooling that target exactly
their needs but on the other hand, are votorola based open primary
toolsets, so that one community after another can be targeted and barriers
between those communities will be teared down as a consequence.

> > yes, [the open parties] are a technical "hack" right from the
> > beginning in order to inject the open primaries into the current
> > system.  Thats a good thing, but still, its necessary to gather
> > users which use the open primaries and spread the word about which
> > "technical vehicles" to elect on election day.  This whole thing can
> > only take off the ground, if there is a MOVEMENT behind it, thus a
> > lot of users with similar motivation which makes them use open
> > primaries to change the world for the better.
>
> I think the motivation is (d).  Nowhere else can I (a German citizen)
> discuss and vote on the membership of the Bundestag, the candidacy of
> the Chancellor, and the thousands of official appointments (direct and
> indirect) of the Chancellor's office.

yes you can.
join the pirates and you can discuss and vote on the membership.
you suggest, one should instead join the "open primaries" to discuss and
vote on the membership.
People dont care, they will fail to see the difference between pirates, SPD
or "open primary".
It's just another something you could eventually vote on but as long as the
majority of people will not vote on it, its a wasted vote.

> Movement or no movement, the
> open primary is the only way to participate in that.  If I don't like
> the primary toolsets that are available, then either I put some work
> into improving one of them, or I do without.

If, for example, one specific open primary toolset is catered exactly to
the pirates needs and they start using it,
its already possible to use any other open primary tooling and mirror the
results to the pirates tooling.
So you have already created the ability to move freely between open primary
toolsets.
But at the same time, you have gained a massive amount of users and can now
move on to the next community.
At the same time, you have not used the network effect in a way to
discriminate other projects or developers.
The only thing they have to do is adopt their tooling to comply with the
open primary toolset standard and this will enable them to easily get users
if their features are good, because people can use the nice features and
will NOT loose the people they want to discuss with, as it would happen
when they would like to quit facebook for another social network with nicer
features...
...so what else do you want???

> > There might be other people as well, which are not pirates, but
> > still very "open source mindend", maybe mostly software developers
> > from all walks of life, and other geeks... BUT i think many of them
> > dont use (or waste) their times in discussing political issues.
> > It's the pirates who do this. If the pirates use the plattform, they
> > can kickstart the open primary system as a whole.
>
> Yes, the Pirates as people can do that.
>
> > What other strategy do you have in mind?  Just gathering a handful
> > of people and somehow manage to put "technical vehicles" on the
> > ballot on election day will not convert huge masses of people to
> > vote for these. Most of them will not even have heard about the
> > approach and they wont care.
>
> The news media will tell them, "It no longer matters which party you
> vote for.  The results are always going to be the same as we agreed in
> the open electoral primaries.  The parties are dying." (e)

hahaha :-) No! It will take a very long time until the media will tell
anything even remotely similar to that, because they dont understand a
thing of what is going on. An example would be bitcoin. People's oppinions
on bitcoin are extremly volatile, because bitcoin causes a lot of
inspiration and peoples thoughts go cracy about it, but they cannot
comprehend what will happen in the long term, because that does not only
depend on the technology as such, but also on how people react to it and
not only those who see bitcoin as a chance, but also those who see bitcoin
as a threat and one cannot know for sure which party will come up with the
better tricks to decide a potential issue in their favor.
So i dont think the media will tell it. They wont notice it at all, then
maybe they cover it sometimes and will see it just as a new approach, a
slightly improved Liquid Feedback or wiki or mailnglist or whatever the
tooling will look like.
Then maybe they will praise the pirates for beeing very open and allowing
non-pirates to participate, then eventually other communities (like minor
parties across germany) will join in and media will tell the pirates have
created alliances with other parties, maybe even with parties not
compatible with pirates core values.
Then pirates will respond and tell, NO, its only the tools that allow them
to participate, but look at the votes, pirates are opposed to their views
most of the time.... and there will be a media discussion.
In the end, all those non-pirates and pirates and "allies" might vote for
one political vehicle (e.g. the pirate party) to get the results into the
real legislative process.
Some might start to register all different kinds of flavors of "open
parties" in order to make sure, the pirates dont hijack all the votes they
were receiving, but only to make the open primary results come true, and
all those minor parties will receive votes... AND:
The open primaries will end up as becoming a very flexible COALTION
BUILDING TOOL between all parties which are commited to it.
...now, if that works and will become a major force in the parliament,
which could really take time, only then eventually will the media start
writing about the decline of established parties and all those who are
unhappy with the esablished parties, even members of the established
parties themselves, will look into the open primary thing.

Dont you think it will be like this?

> > > No practice for e-democracy has yet been fully developed.  (Maybe
> > > Votorola is the closest, but it's not good enough.)  That's why
> > > you don't see production toolsets yet.
> >
> > so let's create a "demo toolset" for votorola. One which is tailored
> > for the needs of an existing community.  might be the pirates, but
> > might also be a different community.  learn about the current
> > tooling they use in order to do work and try to social engineer
> > votorola based tools into their workflow.  To be able to do so, the
> > tools have to technically (UI usability) make use of the existing
> > habits of the communities, so they should try to mimic the behavior
> > of current tooling as closely as possible.  Once the communitiy has
> > switchted, the UI and tooling can grow with its users, but first it
> > has to pick up people where they are.
>
> If we start with the open electoral primaries (as we're discussing),
> then the practice is well enough understood already.  We only need two
> toolset providers to host the alpha prototype and start coding the
> beta for the electoral tools.  That will bring into the field more
> developers and other resources, and some of the developers will switch
> over to alpha prototyping the normative primaries (legislation, plans,
> policies, and what not).  That's where the bulk of the work is.
>
> So the way to move forward is to bring two toolsets together to
> eliminate the primary network effect (i.e. host an open primary).
> That's the fastest way I can see.

yes, but which two toolsets? I feel the community aspect should be added.
In addition to what you've said, there should be communities chosen for
strategic reasons.
...to make it even faster.
(That will not prevent any other communities from using any one of the two
first toolsets, but
at least it will make sure, that the communities targeted in the first
place are huge,
so the features are catered to their needs)

> > > ;^) The pressure's too much for Votorola.  We surrender!
> >
> > no. maybe i were not able to say what i meant.  In order for other
> > people and communities (like mainstream political parties) to use
> > votorola based tools, one or several communities have to use
> > votorola based tools first. ...
>
> (Just to be sure, this is not about Votorola.  Open primaries are open
> to all primary toolsets, of course, without exception.  The voter can
> discuss and vote using the toolset of his/her own choice.)

yes, maybe i should have used other wording. sry.

> > ... So .... THEN ... if this all works... will the current
> > mainstream parties be put UNDER PRESSURE to adopt "open primaries"
> > too and as a consequence will parties as such start to vanish
> > completely.
>
> But the Pirate Party has not adopted an open primary (d).

They have.
An open primary cannot be anonymous. People have to authenticate themselves
in some way.
Pirates do not deny people to join in :-)
You can participate in crafting the party program, even if you are not
member of the pirates.
I worked in the largest working groups without beeing a member for a full
year.
I then decided to register to be able to vote on issues in later phases of
the process which makes
stuff an official pirate position.

What i want to say is, that it already happened, that people got elected by
the pirates, because they participated for a long time, but only became
formal pirates a couple of days prior to their election.
So the formal status of beeing a pirate is, because its enforced by laws.

So in theory it should be quite possible to only join the pirates a day
prior to the election and leave the pirates right after the election took
place. This is only formal bogus.
The important thing is, that you can start voting on everything and
discussing everything and are encouraged to do so from DAY 1.
In contrast, if you join the CDU, you cannot vote on anything if you did
not have climbed the "social ladder".
Pirates allow people to discuss every position of the party program and
edit it and so forth, and even vote on it, but in more later phases, it
requires you to become a pirate to vote, but you can leave again after the
voting has took place. It's required by the laws.

> Maybe some
> Pirates (as people) will join in the development work, but the party
> organization cannot participate except by first destroying itself.

I dont see the difference between pirates as people and the pirate party.
As soon as all those people changed their minds, the pirate party will be
gone.

> The same is true of the CDU/CSU Union and the SPD.  So the Pirate
> Party is not applying any pressure to these other parties in favour of
> open primaries.  (Conceivably it might by first destroying itself, but
> I think that's too much to expect of any party organization.)

The CDU/CSU and will never use digital tools in order to enable all of
their members to participate.
Only because the pirates enable internal grass roots policies instead of
oligarchic systems, are other parties FORCED to adopt some of those
practices and the green party and the liberals made some steps in that
direction.
Without the pirates and their success, their would have been no need for
the liberals and greens to change their behavior.
some people or communities must lead new practices which inspire all people
who are stuck with a certain problem (like not beeing able to really
participate in a fair maner) to follow them.
So those, who do not adopt those new practices will start to loose members
and THATs what puts up the pressure for them to adopt or sink into
insignificance.

> No, I think the pressure is felt equally by all parties, and it falls
> mostly on the party supporters.  If SPD supporters do not participate
> (b) in the open electoral primaries, then SPD candidates (a) will do
> poorly in the results.  The same applies to the Pirates.  They must
> participate in the open primary, or the Pirate candidates will fall
> behind in the results.  This is the pressure.

YES, but this assumes, that the open primaries in itself are of any
significance at all,
which they are not, because initially, like today, there are 0 participants
in open primaries, thats why established parties do not notice and do not
care.
Open primaries have to be of significance in order to make the effects u
propose valid. :-)

> The rush to the open electoral primaries in order to save the party
> candidates is a rush *out* of the parties.  This is the crucial point.
> It's inevitable and it happens fast.

yes, but only if the open primaries are of any significance. What you are
talking about is the network effect.
Once, the open primaries gain serious traction and accumulate a critical
mass of participants, then the network effect will force the established
parties to adopt it too to prevent further "rush outs".

But how do you get from 0 to that point?

> > > The primary network effect started in the late 1800s. ...
> >
> > ... Why late 1800s?  isnt this an issue we have since the beginning
> > of time? or at least throught the whole history of mankind? ...
>
> I mean the network effect in *primary elections*.  Who ought to be
> elected?  Who ought to be on the ballot?  The system that answers
> these questions for us dates from the late 1800s.  It's the modern
> party system.  It's held together by the network effect in its primary
> electoral facilities that forces the participants into the largest of
> the parties.  Eliminate that network effect by enabling them to range
> freely between two primary electoral facilities - no matter how small
> - and the entire party system falls to pieces on that ability.

Like if team blue and team red would both agree to use such a open primary
toolset and do vote mirroring,
problem would be solved, right?
But unfortunately, its not so much between team blue and team red, but its
about the hierarchy within, which should be changed more easily, which is
hopefully enabled to open primary tooling, but neither team blue nor team
red is seriously interested in using such an approach.

> Why does it disintegrate so easily?  It's held together by nothing but
> a scarcity of valuable information.  A little of that information
> surfaces in the creation of the first open primary.  The rest surfaces
> in the resulting "gold rush" for information.

yes, its always about information asymmetrie.

> What information exactly?  The answers to the questions for which the
> party system was created in the first place: Who ought to be elected?
> Who ought to be on the ballot?  We don't need parties to tell us the
> answers to these questions.  We can tell ourselves.

> > > ... It's been going strong ever since.  It keeps the Union
> > > coalition and the SPD in power in Germany, and other powerful
> > > parties around the world.  Maybe the Pirate Party can eventually
> > > destroy the SPD and join the duopoly, but that's as far as it can
> > > go.  No party *as such* can possibly do what a lone developer
> > > armed with two paper parties can do; namely destroy the network
> > > effect that keeps that duopoly in power.
> >
> > ok. i think a developer with two paper parties is a pretty awesome
> > thing.  But how do you breath life into it?
>
> I think we talk to AG MFT, as we're doing now.  That's a good start.
> The AG wants the Pirates to be on the winning side of history, not the
> losing side.  They also want developers and other resources for Disco.
> For our part, we need something like Disco to synchronize the open
> electoral primaries.  So maybe we can work together, move things
> forward, and attract the resources we need to accelerate.
>
> > So what i wanted to say is, that even if u start with one party
> > alone and make an awesome tool, which allows anyone to participate,
> > this kind of powerful open approach might help those communities who
> > adopt that approach to succeed, which in itself will create the
> > pressure for other parties to adopt the same approach AND by
> > adopting the open primary toolset approach, they will effectively
> > crumble the barriers between parties on their own.
>
> Yes, but the community cannot succeed in the dying body of a party
> organization.  It must learn to reproduce itself in the healthier
> practices of the future.  All the good things you associate with the
> party do not actually belong to the party.  They belong to the social
> world, and the party won't be in that world (or any) for much longer.

yes.