[EM] Helping the Pirate Party to vanish

Alexander Praetorius citizen at serapath.de
Thu Apr 18 03:21:26 PDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 3:01 AM, Michael Allan <mike at zelea.com> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> > > If no second party were willing to help, then we might create a
> > > new party.
> >
> > yes, BUT :-) ...to build a party and trust, so that many people are
> > willing to vote for it is a very tough thing to do. ...
>
> The parties we need are relatively easy to obtain.  (We're speaking
> here of Germany, or other states with proportional representation.)
> We need formal parties empty of all party content.  Call these "open
> parties".  We want the party name to appear on the ballot on election
> day, that's all.  These open parties will all share the same leader
> and candidate list as determined through the open primaries.  On
> election day, a given elector may vote for any one of the open
> parties, and the effect will be the same regardless.  It's not really
> a vote for a party at all, but rather for the candidate list and
> leader (the would-be Chancellor or Bundeskanzler) that were previously
> agreed in the open primaries.  Do you see?

Yes, that's technically a nice approach. Other parties could join this
system if they "drop" their candidate lists and instead use the open list,
right? But although i can see it working technically, i fail to see how
this will become a reality, because no matter if there are 1, 2 or 10 or
even more "open parties" on the ballot on election day, nobody would vote
for them.

In germany, you normally have a dozen or several dozen of electable parties
on the ballot on election day, but most people will never vote for anything
else than what they already know.
The first time the pirates were electable, many people laughed when they
read the ballot and for the first time in their life learned about the
pirate party ;-)
personell had to remind them, that they please be quit and not comment on
any parties :D

> All we have to build are the open primaries.  We do that using the
> primary toolsets.  By mirroring the primary votes across all toolsets,
> we ensure the primaries are truly open; not belonging to any party
> organization.

yes, i understand the technical approach and i like it very much.
What i still fail to see is how people will start using the tools.
I have a feeling that they wont. In order to have real users using the
tools and spreading the word,
the usability has to be very very good and people should be able to re-use
knowledge they got from their previously used tools (e.g. wiki, facebook,
email, mailinglists, forum, twitter, etc...)
The pirate party is just one of many possible targets with a lot of similar
users, that means homogenous experience in their current tool usage and
goals (thats crafting positions for their party program)

> > ... I am very happy, that the pirates exist. Luckily, the pirates
> > are a kind of "anti party" :-)
>
> Their role is to vanish, I think you said.  But the open parties I
> just described are already vanished.

yes, they are a technical "hack" right from the beginning in order to
inject the open primaries into the current system.
Thats a good thing, but still, its necessary to gather users which use the
open primaries and spread the word about which "technical vehicles" to
elect on election day.
This whole thing can only take off the ground, if there is a MOVEMENT
behind it, thus a lot of users with similar motivation which makes them use
open primaries to change the world for the better.

What kind of people are these people? Probably young people, which are
younger than 30. Those which are older than 30 might be a minority compared
to the mainstream behavior of their age and are not likely to create a
critical mass.

In lack of alternatives, young people around the world join the pirate
movement. They identify as pirates, because it serves their purpose. They
were NOT BORN as pirates nor will they necessarily be pirates till the end
of time.
They just use the pirate party, because there is no alternative TINA!

There might be other people as well, which are not pirates, but still very
"open source mindend", maybe mostly software developers from all walks of
life, and other geeks... BUT i think many of them dont use (or waste) their
times in discussing political issues.
It's the pirates who do this. If the pirates use the plattform, they can
kickstart the open primary system as a whole.

What other strategy do you have in mind?
Just gathering a handful of people and somehow manage to put "technical
vehicles" on the ballot on election day will not convert huge masses of
people to vote for these. Most of them will not even have heard about the
approach and they wont care.
The pirates are popular and even before their first election day in which
they participated, they had several thousand members, rapidly growing
across the whole of europe. But the majority had never heard of pirates on
election day.
EVEN TODAY, there are STILL many people who have NEVER HEARD of the pirate
party, and if they have, they dont have a fuckin clue what the pirate party
is all about.

:-)
So in order to take off ground it needs real people and a fuckin lot of
them. i currently dont see how this will be possible if you do not target
existing communities.
The pirates dont have to be the only targeted community and will never
remain the only community, but i think its the only chance to make this all
take off ground, at least in europe.

> > > But the actual toolset doesn't matter so much.
> >
> > NO! ...IT DOES MATTER A LOT!  It's very true, that its extremly
> > important to break the network effect and enable people to move
> > freely between tools, but in order for people to actually USE ANY
> > Tool AT ALL ..  there have to be NON-CRAPPY Tools.  All i have seen
> > until today, is total crap!
>
> Toolset user interfaces (UIs) are expensive.  Before coding them, we
> need to be certain of the design, which means being certain of the
> practice that's to be supported by the tools.

yes.
...and no ;-)
Its true, good user interface design is an engineering discipline of its
own and an art in itself.
but as in backend coding, its possible to re-use components.
what do you need? maybe search boxes with autocompletion.
maybe text editor field with syntax highlighting and several different
kinds of features
maybe diff visualization between drafts
lots of other things.
it should work on desktop and on mobile too. mobile is even more important,
because mobile is "the next big thing".
you could even say its the "current big thing" already.

So whatever components work, they stay, what doesnt work, will be thrown
away.
you learn about the GUI and its usage while people play around with it an
give feedback.
it can never be thought through and then be coded, it has to evolve with
its users and their importance weighting of GUI elements through actual
usage.

If you want to offer complex functionality on a mobile phone, you really
have to put a lot of thought into UI details, because otherwise it will be
unusable.

> No practice for
> e-democracy has yet been fully developed.  (Maybe Votorola is the
> closest, but it's not good enough.)  That's why you don't see
> production toolsets yet.

so let's create a "demo toolset" for votorola. One which is tailored for
the needs of an existing community.
might be the pirates, but might also be a different community.
learn about the current tooling they use in order to do work and try to
social engineer votorola based tools into their workflow.
To be able to do so, the tools have to technically (UI usability) make use
of the existing habits of the communities, so they should try to mimic the
behavior of current tooling as closely as possible.
Once the communitiy has switchted, the UI and tooling can grow with its
users, but first it has to pick up people where they are.

> > > At least two, I think.  We'll eliminate the network effect that
> > > binds the users to the bigger toolset/party.
> >
> > there must be the elimination of the network effect, but before it
> > can work in practice, there must be pressure [from the Pirate Party]
> > to force others tools into that kind of thinking.  ...
>
> ;^) The pressure's too much for Votorola.  We surrender!

no. maybe i were not able to say what i meant.
In order for other people and communities (like mainstream political
parties) to use votorola based tools,
one or several communities have to use votorola based tools first.
Because if they do, they offer a viable alternative to average citizens for
participation.
Thus, all those who are not happy with mainstream parties can engage in
open primaries and in order to make those "open primary results" COUNT,
committed parties like the pirates will make them popular by discussing
them in parliament and in the media.
This open approach might then attract more people engaging in those open
primaries, creating EVEN MORE incentive to vote for the pirates in order to
push the results of those open primaries through "congress" or through the
law making process.

People who participate in the "open primaries" will only vote for the
pirate party if they like the results of the open primaries. That alone
create a lot of incentive to discuss things and reach consensus.
In this phase, pirates and other "open primary parties" (like those u
proposed purely as a technical hack) will be voted for and established
parties might constantly loose voters, because they will learn and
experience that open primaries might create better solutions and are
actually a viable alternative (elected pirates might grow confidence that
it will be possible)

So .... THEN ... if this all works... will the current mainstream parties
be put UNDER PRESSURE to adopt "open primaries" too and as a consequence
will parties as such start to vanish completely.

Thats what i wanted to say. pirates and others, using open primary toolsets
and making its results pop up in mainstream media and
congress/parliament/etc... will motivate more people to participate and
eventually create pressure for established parties to adopt open primaries
too if they dont want to sink into insignificance.

> > > In order to demonstrate this, however, we require at least two
> > > parties.  Immediately both parties will be destroyed *as parties*.
> > > That's necessary, because otherwise nothing changes and the world
> > > just yawns. ;^)
> >
> > I don't think anything will happen immediately.  I agree with all u
> > have said in the long term, but in the short term, its all about
> > people and their observations which eventually lead to changes of
> > habits, but that takes time. ...  From the perspective of a "sales
> > person" (even if no money is involved at all), the sales person has
> > to offer something.  What is it that could be offered in terms of
> > immediate solutions? ...
>
> An open executive primary, for one.  German citizens may start
> reaching consensus on Chancellor (Bundeskanzler), Foreign Minister
> (Bundesminister des Auswärtigen) and thousands of other direct and
> indirect appointments of the Chancellor's office.  That's never
> happened before.  It cannot happen until we eliminate the network
> effect between two primary toolsets, and invite others to join.

yes.
maybe i try to use an analogy
I see votorola as a decentralised "open primary toolset" app store.
Anyone who wants could strengthen this decentralised appstore by hosting an
instance.
The source of the app store is MIT licenced or something similar.

Now what i would like to see is a real open primary toolset tailored to a
real communities needs.
(that might be the pirates). This toolset should adhere to all the openness
or standards or whatever it is that makes votorola votorola.
So it will be a helpful thing to the pirates. it might grow with the
pirates. it will be a proof of concept, that toolset written in a way so
that they are votorola compatible can actually WORK.
This might encourage other developers to "jump on the train" and to engage
in vote mirroring and everything else which is needed.

Maybe the pirates should indeed not be the only communitie which should be
targeted right from the beginning, because it might be a strategically
critical thing to have a real proof of concept... i should say "proof of
practice" for vote mirroring too.

maybe there is a community in canada? maybe one could try to target the
occupy movement (when it comes to occupy, making everything possible on
mobile phones is a "mission critical" thing, because thats how occupy uses
the web).
what about the "tea party"? :-) i dont know. maybe grillo beppos party in
italy? who knows ;-)

> > ... It has to start with something small. It has to solve some
> > problem but it has to solve it better than all the other
> > alternatives out there.  its then possible to add a second thing
> > that will be solved equally awesome and then a third... and so
> > forth.
>
> Yes, I think that's how it will go.

ok cool.

> > there was an assumption.  IF two parties join THEN they will be
> > destroyed.  ...but how do you get even a single party to join in in
> > the first place?  ...
>
> As mentioned, they need not be real parties.  Two paper parties with
> no members are sufficient.  There must be two primary toolsets behind
> them, of course, but that's not much of a barrier.

So what u want is to code two "open primary toolsets" for two open parties
(technical vehicles in a legal system) which then can do vote mirroring.
...awesome, but...
it doesnt cater to real people. people might then be free to choose between
toolset 1 and open party 1 or toolset 2 and open party 2, in fact, they
only have to choose between open toolset 1 and open toolset 2 and can vote
for whichever open party they want.
...but will they ever start using it?
It sounds pretty lifeless. People have hopes and issues and friends and
social networks and events around their activities as a citizen.
They talk to each other, they use email, maybe facebook, maybe twitter,
maybe word/pdf and send it to each other, maybe a wiki maybe an etherpad,
maybe a forum, maybe blogs, maybe skype/IRC/mumble, maybe survey tools and
maybe a mashup of all of this exchanging hyperlinks and doing a lot of
stuff manually.

People are used to it, they know each other, they have their digital habits.
Now WHO is those people who start to use open primary toolset 1 or open
primary toolset 2 ?
Maybe a few beta users, but all those who are really commited to activism
and political activity have their social environment and are already active
somewhere. They do not start from scratch.

i fail to see how u think users will start to use these tools and grow...

I believe, in order to enable this, one has to custom tailor to existing
communities.
Those existing communities might found parties themselves or have already
founded political parties.
Using the custom tailored open primary tool, will tear down technical
barriers between all communities which use open primary tooling and that,
over time, will automatically make them "join forces", because discussion
will create consensus between those parties.

> A single developer
> can code the vote translations for both toolsets if necessary.

Think its the WRONG approach.
Because the translation might change often as tools evolve and users or
communities change their minds.
This kind of translation itself has to be made by the community and the UI
should support this.

At least it should be possible to create "open primary tooling" that
enables communities to do it themselves instead of let a developer do it.

> > > True, [the open parties] can expect to receive more votes in the
> > > next election, but never again can a party candidate *as such* be
> > > elected to office.  The open parties all share the same candidate
> > > list, which they discuss and vote using their primary toolsets.
> >
> > yes, but thats again long term vision.  in the beginning that will
> > not be the case i believe.  The pirates will use the toolset to vote
> > for its issues and its candidates.  Then maybe, because many people
> > join that plattform, because they have more power than with the
> > traditional approach, it might grow and sooner or later the network
> > effect might kick in.
>
> The primary network effect started in the late 1800s.

Really? i think the network effect in itself is something u see throughout
nature.
Something reaches/grows into critical mass and changes things very
fundamentally.
Why late 1800s?
isnt this an issue we have since the beginning of time? or at least
throught the whole history of mankind?
the monetary system or the monetary systems, they all took of because of
network effects.
When the dinasours walked the earth, aristocracy might not have existed,
but it started somehow and needed to reach
a critical mass, so that enough people knew about aristocracy and
aristocracy accepted each other and nursed their relationships to each
other, so it wasnt possible to non-aristocrats to establish a different
form of aristocracy, because of the network effect.

same for currency.
new technologies enable to break network effects. bitcoin can tackle
traditional money which is backed by the legal system.
the internet might tackle the media system.

> It's been going
> strong ever since.  It keeps the Union coalition and the SPD in power
> in Germany, and other powerful parties around the world.  Maybe the
> Pirate Party can eventually destroy the SPD and join the duopoly, but
> that's as far as it can go.  No party *as such* can possibly do what a
> lone developer armed with two paper parties can do; namely destroy the
> network effect that keeps that duopoly in power.

ok. i think a developer with two paper parties is a pretty awesome thing.
But how do you breath life into it?

> > ...thats the latest point where other party will start to use the
> > same tools too in order to survive.  So this is the moment where you
> > have your SECOND PARTY or even a third and so forth...
>
> No, I think we're already there.  The parties are the Union coalition,
> the SPD and (let's say) the Pirates.  All three run closed primaries,
> like any other party.  The situation is already ripe for change.

yes, its ripe for a change.
i wasnt talking about that, its probably because my english sucks? ;-)
I was trying to illuminate the path that will happen.

The thought was, ...if the pirates use the "votorola based" open primary
tooling and will be successful, other parties will analyze their success
and will try to imitate it, thus, they will or have to use an "open primary
tooling" too.
Thats the moment where they can start to compete for voters, because party
members can directly join the discussion and crafting and consensus finding
of/for issues engaged with members of different parties.
They can come up with solutions and these will be backed by members from
all kinds of opem primary toolset parties

So what i wanted to say is, that even if u start with one party alone and
make an awesome tool, which allows anyone to participate, this kind of
powerful open approach might help those communities who adopt that approach
to succeed, which in itself will create the pressure for other parties to
adopt the same approach AND by adopting the open primary toolset approach,
they will effectively crumble the barriers between parties on their own.

> > > Likewise, the open parties all share the same leader.  The leader
> > > has no authority as such within the parties.  His/her only
> > > function is to become Chancellor when the parties win the federal
> > > election - then to make a huge number of official appointments,
> > > directly and indirectly.
> >
> > dont understand what you are talking about here :-)
>
> It's the open executive primary:
> http://zelea.com/w/Stuff:Votorola/p/power_structuring

yes, i've already seen this and think its a nice idea.
I'm still not sure about its details, and wether or not, voters should be
able to make binding decisions which candidates go into office and those
candidates have to arrange themselves with the other candidates which have
been voted for or else refuse to go into office or if the decisions made by
ordinary voters should only be a "suggestion" where the candidate on top of
the hierarchy will decide who goes into office.
Next thing i am unsure of is wether or not it should be possible to create
a no-confidence vote against any candidate at any given time, forcing him
out of office and replacing him by someone else.

> > > Those appointments too are discussed and voted using the primary
> > > toolsets years in advance of the election.  This attracts users, and
> > > this is where the party system starts to seriously fall apart.
> >
> > maybe, but i cant really understand what you are saying here.
> >
> > > Those users are not going to turn around and vote for a
> > > conventional party on election day.
> >
> > yes, this is the phenomenon that will eventually kick in the network
> > effect, to force all the other parties, to join the "open system".
> > thats what i was trying to say, maybe from a slightly different
> > perspective??? :-)
>
> Except I'm describing a much faster mechanism, I think.

Maybe it should be combined.
Its cheap to create votorla based open primary toolsets with vote mirroring
established and two corresponding paper parties.
But beside that, there should also be an approach to custom tailor votorola
based open primary toolsets to established communities (e.g. pirates) in
order to get traction.
But in order to do so, developers who do this have to know HOW to write an
"open primary toolset" in a way so that its compatible with the votorola
approach.

I think the paper party approach is good, because it enables to create a
clean reference, a proof of concept approach to experiment with, without
messing up someones daily workflow.
But i think in order for people to join this movement, it has to be
combined with the other appraoch, which is tailoring votorola based open
primary toolsets to an existing communities needs.
They might initially not use the "vote mirroring feature", but at least
they now use tooling which is able to support it in principle.

> > > The party system as a whole is not seriously shaken until the
> > > primary toolsets start to gain users.
> >
> > how will it start? :-)
>
> Suppose it starts in Anglo-America.  It's easier there, because no
> open parties are required.  Here's how:
>
>   1. Eliminate the network effect between two primary electoral
>      toolsets, e.g. by vote mirroring.
>
>   2. Announce the world's first open executive primary, together with
>      an open assembly primary for legislative seats.
>
>   3. Improve the toolsets to the point where developers can operate
>      them.  Only developers are needed at first.
>
>   4. Resources start coming in.  A trickle at first, then a flood.
>      Everyone wants to be a part of history in the making.
>
> It's a little more difficult in places that use proportional
> representation like Germany, because we need those open pseudo-parties
> along with the toolsets.  So there's added paperwork and expense that
> isn't needed in the US, Britain, Canada, etc (maybe France too, but
> I'm less certain.)  Still, that's no major obstacle.

ok, so if parties are not needed in the US, then thats a better starting
point.
In germany you need them and thats why i imagine the pirates as a formal
hack into the legal system to enable people injecting that whichever they
craft by consensual discussion into the law making process.

For germany i somehow fail to see how such a system would ever be able to
get off the ground without the pirates or another established or near
established party doing the pionieering work.

> > I am a software developer (i have a java background, i am not so
> > experienced, i offered my javascript skills) A software developer is
> > nothing that you are currently searching for, at least thats what
> > the "job vacancys" seem to imply.
>
> Votorola is always open to developers (and others), but currently we
> don't have the resources to supervise less experienced developers.
> They have to be self starters.

Wouldnt it be a good idea to somehow craft a very clear interface for
votorola which enables arbitrary people who are interested, to develop a
"open primary toolset" or change their already existing toolset into
something that adheres to the votorola way?

for example
i could start my own tool and right from the beginning i could take care
that it will be compatible with the votorola approach.
How do i do that? Right now i have no clue.
Where is the API?
Or where is the standardized formats?
How can i make sure that whatever i want to code is coded in a way that
will ensure its compatible with votorola?
(i dont have to learn about all the stuff votorola does if i stick to the
interface)

isnt it possible to do this? shouldnt it have a high priority, so people
who are commited can start to work even when they know that votorola is not
yet ready for prime time.

> > It'll snowball, but in order to start snowballing, there must be
> > some kind of product, which really solves something of importance in
> > a very efficient way.  Votorola does effectively solve everything,
> > but if you would really use it in practice, it would be very slow,
> > because currently it is only a proof of concept and a broad vision,
> > but not an efficient solution for every day life. It cannot start as
> > a efficient solution to ALL ASPECTS which are encompassed by the
> > votorola vision from the beginning, it can evolve into that stepp by
> > step but has to start with ONE PROBLEM at the time and try to solve
> > that very well.  This first problem must be chosen well, because
> > there has to be a strategic perspective to grow this tiny piece into
> > the full blown vision :-)
>
> Yes, I think so.  The easiest and most exciting start-up is via the
> electoral primaries (1-4 above), especially the executive one.
> Votorola can't easily start that alone.  We need to cooperate with at
> least one other primary toolset.

so it should be very high priority to somehow create documentation or other
forms of explanation how a developer can develop in a way that it will be a
valid "votorola based open primary toolset".

> Otherwise, we do the normative start-up (legislative bills, and that
> kind of thing).  They're more difficult because the practice is more
> complicated and needs elaborate trials.

personally, i am only interested in this kind of approach, because i think,
once this approach has taken off the ground, everything else is irrelevant
and will be socially forced into sticking to what this approach comes up
with. The people will work and find their ways to have their will be
executed one way or another.

> It's those trials that will
> eventually pull in the resources, once we get into full swing.

what would people motivate to participate in the first place?
it would be effort for people to participate, but the results will not be
something real, right?