[EM] Helping the Pirate Party to vanish

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sun Apr 14 08:55:26 PDT 2013

Alex and Marc,

Alex said:
> > It will happen fast.  Enabling people to move freely among toolset
> > platforms (by a solution we haven't yet discussed), will
> > necessarily enable them to move among political parties *without
> > political consequences*.  This will destroy the party system.
>
> ... I feel the same.  Once, people can move freely among toolset
> plattforms, this will be the case, but at least in germany, the
> pirate party, as a toolset plattform in itself, will probably be the
> only political party, which is open to such a solution. ...

If no second party were willing to help, then we might create a new
party.  We could equip it with a position-forming (primary) toolset of
its own, preferably something different than the Pirates are currently
prototyping.  Votorola is available for this purpose, for instance.
But the actual toolset doesn't matter so much.  What matters is that
we enable the individual users (members) to range freely across
toolsets/parties and settle where they prefer.

> ... So in order to make open toolset plattforms interesting, there
> has to be at least ONE party, which supports them ...

At least two, I think.  We'll eliminate the network effect that binds
the users to the bigger toolset/party.  In order to demonstrate this,
however, we require at least two parties.  Immediately both parties
will be destroyed *as parties*.  That's necessary, because otherwise
nothing changes and the world just yawns. ;^)

If the Pirates cannot stomach this (it's a bitter pill to swallow),
then we might create two new parties expressly for this purpose.

> ... so people eventually vote for the pirates in order to get the
> results of the open toolset plattforms into laws, which might force
> the other parties to open up too, and as soon as they do, the party
> system will be destroyed. ...

Yes, but already the demonstration above has politically destroyed the
two parties.  True, they can expect to receive more votes in the next
election, but never again can a party candidate *as such* be elected
to office.  The open parties all share the same candidate list, which
they discuss and vote using their primary toolsets.  So the elected
candidates are independent of all parties.  (If it's the Pirates then,
you see how quickly you are destroyed as a party.  No Pirate *as such*
will ever again be elected to office.  You commit to that.)

Likewise, the open parties all share the same leader.  The leader has
no authority as such within the parties.  His/her only function is to
become Chancellor when the parties win the federal election - then to
make a huge number of official appointments, directly and indirectly.
Those appointments too are discussed and voted using the primary
toolsets years in advance of the election.  This attracts users, and
this is where the party system starts to seriously fall apart.  Those
users are not going to turn around and vote for a conventional party
on election day.  They will instead vote for one of the open parties
(no matter which, the effect is always exactly the same) and that too
will be known years in advance of the election.  Anyway, this how we
figured it.

So two parties (as such) are destroyed immediately.  The party system
as a whole is not seriously shaken until the primary toolsets start to
gain users.  The timing depends, therefore, on how many developers we
can attract to push the toolsets into beta.  But if we attract just a
few more developers, then that'll be a vote of confidence in what we
predict, and we'll attract more on that basis.  It'll snowball.

Can anyone see a flaw?  Please point to anything that seems doubtful.

> Which is the "election methods list"?
> I'd like to join that list :-)

Here it is, Alex.
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/

Marc said:
> I am not sure about the speed things will fall apart. But in general
> it will happen.  And YES - let's move forward into this direction
> with joined forces.
>
> We are already on the same track, but we need to shape our minds.
>
> Let's do it!

Good!  I see no problem with the standards for porting user data that
you described.  I don't think we'll get stuck on those.  I'm more
concerned about the method of eliminating the network effect.  I think
there's only one feasible method, but I want to hear your thoughts.

Should we discuss sometime by Mumble?  My hours this coming week are
roughly 0800 to 2000 UTC.  Or 1200 to 2400 the week after.

Mike