[EM] Condorcet IRV Hybrid

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 19:45:59 PDT 2013

Forest--

All Condorcet methods have some possible incentive for the Condorcet
offensive strategies, of burial and offensive truncation.

I don't know of Benham, Woodall, and Schwartz Woodall have less of
that incentive than other Condorcet methods, such as Beatpath, etc.
Maybe.

But the important difference between those 3 Condorcet IRV hybrids and
other Condorcet methods is that they meet the Mutual Majority
Criterion, are free of the Chicken dilemma, while meeting the
Condorcet Criterion.

In fact, they meet the Smith Criterion too, and so I guess the
statement could be shortened to: They meet Smith and are free of the
chicken dilemma.

They're the only methods that I know of that have that combination of
properties.

I don't know the properties and criterion-compliances of the Covered
version that you spoke of--as regards Smith, chicken dilemma, and
burial incentive and vulnerability. But it's more complicated to
define, which makes it more difficult to propose. That could only be
justified by a considerable gain in properties.

Michael Ossipoff