[EM] STV method based on previously introduced clone-proof Condorcet single winner method

Ross Hyman rahyman at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 4 20:01:05 PDT 2013

Here is an alternative that I think satisfies the generalized multiwinner Condorcet criterion.

Scores are calculated for each candidate set via:
S(Alpha) = Sum_Beta (V(Alpha,B)-V(Beta,A))V(Beta, not Beta) where the sum is over all candidate sets Beta that differ from Alpha by just one candidate.  A is the candidate in Alpha that is not in Beta and B is the candidate in Beta that is not in Alpha. V(Alpha,B) and V(Beta, not Beta) are defined as previously.
The candidate set with the lowest score is eliminated.  Its score is not calculated again and that character set is removed from the sum when recalculating the scores of the other candidate sets.  If a candidate set is eliminated that is the last one to contain a certain candidate, then that candidate is eliminated.  The V(Beta, not Beta)'s are recalculated with that character eliminated from all ballots.  Repeat until only one candidate set remains.