[EM] Cloneproofing Random Pair and Random Candidate?

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at lavabit.com
Thu Apr 4 10:12:34 PDT 2013

On 04/04/2013 08:02 PM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
> At 02:24 AM 4/3/2013, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
>> However, there is a rated method that is also strategy-proof. It is
>> called Hay voting. Some time ago, I stumbled across
>> http://www.panix.com/~tehom/essays/hay-extended.html , which seems to
>> be a proposal to make Hay voting cloneproof. I haven't really
>> understood the details yet, but I'm wondering if this could be used to
>> also make the two Random methods cloneproof.
>
> Hay voting, as described, is a multiple-round system, it appears. Now,
> why would this complex system be superior to standard Robert Rules
> elections, i.e., vote for one, repeated ballot if no majority, no
> eliminations with only voluntary withdrawals -- or shifts in voter
> preferences -- , in an Assembly able to change rules, effectively, by
> agreement?

Not as I understood the description. Ordinary (not Extended) Hay voting
consists of voters submitting the rated ballots, and the Hay method
probabilistically picks a candidate. The method is designed so that the
optimal thing to do is for each voter to report ratings proportional to
their real utilities.

The "multiple" rounds of Extended Hay (again, if I understood it right)
don't actually happen. They're like the multiple rounds of IRV: the
algorithm goes through multiple stages, between which the effective
ratings change according to the logic of the algorithm itself, but each
voter only has to submit a single ballot.

Thus, I don't think your comments about organizational unity and
deliberation apply to this method. And yes, repeated ballot may be more
effective than single ballot, but that's not what extended Hay is about.